Calves coughing/head down

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
Noticed today several of my calves have a cough and move lethargic with head down . I got some nuflor and gave 4cc per 100lb to the ones that were the worst ( in other words I could catch ) All calves with these symptoms are under 250lbs . The bigger calves and cows don't seem to be affected . Just looking for thoughts from those with more experience than me.. You think this is something that will run its course with time or should I stay all over it ?

I would be worried about the lethargic and head down posture with a cough. Sounds like what I have been told are symptoms of pneumonia.

BobbyLummus":16unz87t said:
What I'm thinking too , if this is pneumonia what more can I do ?

I know a guy who had a group of 800lbers get it last fall. Cost him 900 on a bottle of something, but I can't recall the name of it off hand.

Keeping them warm, dry and fed is the biggest help.

If they aren;t a lot better within 24 hours I would hit them with a stronger antibiotic

dun":1s94olxt said:
If they aren;t a lot better within 24 hours I would hit them with a stronger antibiotic
I agree. Temp the ones that didn't receive the Nuflor if you can.
I don't want to scare you, but I have seen them go quick with certain types of pneumonia.

This is a little off the subject but does relate , I can catch all my my cows any given day and the bigger calves but the small calves seem to get left in the stampede for grain and never all get into corral . These calves in question are some of the ones that didn't get worked a couple weeks ago . Wonder if its coincidence? Any suggestions on how to get all the small calves in too when catching ?

Arrange things so that they all have togo through multiple closeable areas. Close the big ones in the second area and wait till the calves come up and get into the first area then close it off.

Nuflor sub Q has always been my answer to pneumonia - if you give the IM dosage then you have to repeat. Also I give banamine (which has been cussed and discussed a thousand times on these boards) as an anti inflammatory to help clear the lungs. As has been mentioned, if they don't look a ton better in a hurry, I would repeat and might also tube with fluids.

Thanks Dun that sure makes a lot of sense , will definitely try that . I'm gonna check them first thing in the morning . I treated 4 today with nuflor sub q , the others I couldn't catch . Will try Duns advice in am. Gonna start a new tread with another thought

We use LA 200 for pneumonia and it has gotten it every time but the vet has given us Nuflor before when we didn't know LA 200 would get it so I would think that treating with that should get it for you. Its stronger then LA 200 supposedly.

Latest posts