calve feed

Help Support CattleToday:

longtimelurker":2k0pu2kh said:
tripil7z":2k0pu2kh said:
My largest steer I have right now is 285lbs @ 77 days old and he gets 16 pints a day.He also eats as much cracked corn as he wants. Someone told me that corn takes away the milk protien. They forgot to tell him that because hes a thick steer(not pot bellied).The cost for the calf at 2 days old,corn,milk,shots,wormer,etc... puts me right below 100.00 per calf, right now grain fed Holstiens in my area go for 1.01 per pound in the 300-500 lb range.Once they get to 500-700 the price per pound drops to .85 per lb.Don't ask me why but it does.This does'nt bother me because I have a small place and keeping multiple calves over 500 lbs is'nt feasable.Also I max my profit by selling at highest per lb then reloading on bottle calves.Also my contact that buys my steers wants them at 400-500 lbs.So it works out for me perfect.Everyones situation is different,everyone has different set ups,contacts,prices, and circumstances.This is why I :lol2: when peeps say,you cant put that many steers on that amout of acres or you need to be doing this or feeding that. Really? I put a post up and asked how much money could a person make selling beef steers after all expenses were paid and the answer I got was about 275,well I clear about 400 per head on a dairy by product.Simple fact is my costs are low,I don't have to keep hefiers,I don't have to keep bulls,I keep track of EVERYTHING, and I manage well. Now would I love to have 100 acres,john deere tractors,beef cattle everywhere,and mounds of hay ? Yes I would, but you have to start somewhere and this is what I have to work with.

Tripil7z
This is how my brother and I started out as well when we were young boys. It was the only way we could get a start in the cattle business. Over the long run run the black whites have been more profitable by a landslide. Sure there are years when those beef breeds whip the black and whites badly, however that usually doesn't last long. I have an equal amounts of both for comparison.
Thank you. Finally someone who understands :banana:

tripil7z":34jmyst1 said:
longtimelurker":34jmyst1 said:
tripil7z":34jmyst1 said:
My largest steer I have right now is 285lbs @ 77 days old and he gets 16 pints a day.He also eats as much cracked corn as he wants. Someone told me that corn takes away the milk protien. They forgot to tell him that because hes a thick steer(not pot bellied).The cost for the calf at 2 days old,corn,milk,shots,wormer,etc... puts me right below 100.00 per calf, right now grain fed Holstiens in my area go for 1.01 per pound in the 300-500 lb range.Once they get to 500-700 the price per pound drops to .85 per lb.Don't ask me why but it does.This does'nt bother me because I have a small place and keeping multiple calves over 500 lbs is'nt feasable.Also I max my profit by selling at highest per lb then reloading on bottle calves.Also my contact that buys my steers wants them at 400-500 lbs.So it works out for me perfect.Everyones situation is different,everyone has different set ups,contacts,prices, and circumstances.This is why I :lol2: when peeps say,you cant put that many steers on that amout of acres or you need to be doing this or feeding that. Really? I put a post up and asked how much money could a person make selling beef steers after all expenses were paid and the answer I got was about 275,well I clear about 400 per head on a dairy by product.Simple fact is my costs are low,I don't have to keep hefiers,I don't have to keep bulls,I keep track of EVERYTHING, and I manage well. Now would I love to have 100 acres,john deere tractors,beef cattle everywhere,and mounds of hay ? Yes I would, but you have to start somewhere and this is what I have to work with.

Tripil7z
This is how my brother and I started out as well when we were young boys. It was the only way we could get a start in the cattle business. Over the long run run the black whites have been more profitable by a landslide. Sure there are years when those beef breeds whip the black and whites badly, however that usually doesn't last long. I have an equal amounts of both for comparison.
Thank you. Finally someone who understands :banana:

I didnt' see where he agreed with your feeding strategies....but if it's working and it works for your buyer then I say great. Now I'm trying to figure out how corn takes away the milk protein and how that would affect the ration.....or the milk anyway.

tripil7z":2qfxqqtw said:
novaman on page 1 wrote "The protein in the milk is being diluted out by the corn"
The corn isn't taking AWAY the milk protein. It is diluting the total protein in the ration. The milk is probably 20-25% protein and the corn is 8% on a DM basis. My calves only get 18% protein feed so as I'm not shorting them on the protein they are getting them out of the milk. Your calves probably do look good but I think you could get a bit more.

I ended up using what angus cowman suggested for awhile. That formula is a little pricey but it got them eating. I have switched to purina stocker grower. I feed a small amount mixed with wind and rain mineral. They seem to be gaining weight well. I have good grass so I use the grain to get goood mineral in them and to get them used to me being around. So far it seems to be working well.

dkt99":2bnze650 said:
I ended up using what angus cowman suggested for awhile. That formula is a little pricey but it got them eating. I have switched to purina stocker grower. I feed a small amount mixed with wind and rain mineral. They seem to be gaining weight well. I have good grass so I use the grain to get goood mineral in them and to get them used to me being around. So far it seems to be working well.
dkt...don't know how much corn the calves are eating but adding some soybean meal to it would sure make those calves jump....amount needed would depend on how many lbs. of corn you're getting into them.

Latest posts