Calling it quits

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Again I must apologize to all my friends on CT for being AWOL for so long. Coaching a 6 year old in baseball and two teenage daughters (one about to get a car) will consume anyone.

My dad had fairly serious surgery a few weeks ago. He just got back home about 2 weeks ago, and really doing fine now. He's 70, but from the old school and can probably still outwork many. A few days after he got home he made me quit coming over each day to check on his cows (he lives about 30 miles north of me - gas is expensive).

So this past Tuesday he goes out in the morning and ALL of his cows are GONE. He has roughly 45 acres, and around 20 braford/tigerstripe moma cows with calves and a nice Brangus bull. We've been going through a drought, and there is almost no grass. Somehow his front gate came open and all of the whole herd managed to walk through his front yard, onto the local small 2 lane highway and proceed to travel about 2 miles to a pond where there was water and lush grass.

He followed the cow patty trail and with my uncle's help managed to get them to come back, he cut the fence and they followed him in. (His cows are trained to come when called - to a feed trough). So he calls me at work and tells me that he's made up his mind; the following day he would have his entire herd picked up and sold at the auction 30 minutes north of him. I understood his frustration, it's his choice, so seemed fine by me. This choice was made after three or four hours of hard work getting the cows back.

So I call him the next morning around 10:00 thinking that the local hauler would have had plenty of time to finish. I asked him how he was doing, he said fine. He then tells me that he only sold the calves and the "ugly" heifers and cows, and kept the best 10 cows. When I ask him why, he told me "I can't stay in that house with your mom all day, she'll drive me nuts!"

I guess once it's in your blood, it's hard to get out...

cypressfarms said:
Again I must apologize to all my friends on CT for being AWOL for so long. Coaching a 6 year old in baseball and two teenage daughters (one about to get a car) will consume anyone.

My dad had fairly serious surgery a few weeks ago. He just got back home about 2 weeks ago, and really doing fine now. He's 70, but from the old school and can probably still outwork many. A few days after he got home he made me quit coming over each day to check on his cows (he lives about 30 miles north of me - gas is expensive).

So this past Tuesday he goes out in the morning and ALL of his cows are GONE. He has roughly 45 acres, and around 20 braford/tigerstripe moma cows with calves and a nice Brangus bull. We've been going through a drought, and there is almost no grass. Somehow his front gate came open and all of the whole herd managed to walk through his front yard, onto the local small 2 lane highway and proceed to travel about 2 miles to a pond where there was water and lush grass.

He followed the cow patty trail and with my uncle's help managed to get them to come back, he cut the fence and they followed him in. (His cows are trained to come when called - to a feed trough). So he calls me at work and tells me that he's made up his mind; the following day he would have his entire herd picked up and sold at the auction 30 minutes north of him. I understood his frustration, it's his choice, so seemed fine by me. This choice was made after three or four hours of hard work getting the cows back.

So I call him the next morning around 10:00 thinking that the local hauler would have had plenty of time to finish. I asked him how he was doing, he said fine. He then tells me that he only sold the calves and the "ugly" heifers and cows, and kept the best 10 cows. When I ask him why, he told me "I can't stay in that house with your mom all day, she'll drive me nuts!"

I guess once it's in your blood, it's hard to get out...[/quote]

Your Mom or the Cows?????????????????? :lol2: :lol2:

Seriously, I can see his point, and I doubt that it had much to do with your Mom. Letting go of his cows at that age would most likely age him 10 years overnight. If I was you I would be real supportive and still get over there as often as possible.

BTW are you heading up here this summer. I am itching to teach that boy of yours how to flyfish!

3waycross":1glrzcnn said:
BTW are you heading up here this summer. I am itching to teach that boy of yours how to flyfish!

Sorry 3 way, no Colorado this summer. My family actually went to the Florida keys for a week, but it was when dad had surgery so I stayed home to take care of him and mom. No brainer for me - without him helping me in 2009 (with the throat cancer), I don't know that I'd be here. So I was not about to leave him.

We have finally talked dad into letting me sell my cows that are at his place this fall so I don't have to worry about them and he don't either is 60 miles away
He is going to sell his goat also only has a few to keep the brush ate down
I convinced him we would sell this fall and if he felt like it next spring I would bring a dozen or so cows up for the summer or buy a few for the summer to keep the grass ate down

He is 85 and still going
I don't blame your dad at all Mark
I was sure hoping that you weren't quitting when I read the title

Best wishes to your dad and hope he has a speedy recovery.

I just about threw in the towel last winter too, the only thing that stopped me was I am too darn stubborn to quit and had no one to help me load them up to ship them . If I have another winter like last one I don't think I will stay in the cattle business, especially if I need surgery on my shoulder.
I completely empathise with your dad ,hopefully the 10 head behave themselves . ;-)

Glad to hear your dad decided to keep a few. I agree with 3way, its good to have something to keep you going. And nice to have you back Cypress.

Was meaning to cut back myself this summer but ended up with a few more than normal. Still got it in my mind not to winter but 40 cows. I will see. And I had been wondering where you had been.

Cypress your Dad is a smart man need something to keep the blood pressure up. Told the wife the other day I was thinking selling off what I have left and buy four Guernsey's for her to graft day old's on them.
That went over like a lead balloon.

Cypress, maybe not selling all of them is your dad's way of keeping his blood pressure down! My hubby's dad is 99; so is his Mrs. He's still in pretty darn good health all the way around, but she isn't, physically or mentally, so he pretty much needs to stay home with her. Dad farmed his entire life until about 70, but still tries to get out to his other son's ranch, nearby (yeah, he still drives short distances), as often as he can get out. We think that's what keeps him ticking. He's in MO; we're way far West. We wish we were closer. :)

Cypress, you had me a bit worried with the title of this thread....along with the fact you hadn't posted in a while. I was afraid something awful had happened.

Glad things are okay with your dad. Glad to hear he kept only his 'best'. It will will keep him from getting 'old'.

Katherine

Tell those Dads how much you love and appreciate them every chance you get.

I lost mine 2 months ago and this is the first Fathers Day I have not had mine around to say how much he was appreciated.

Workinonit Farm":37ttyagn said:
Cypress, you had me a bit worried with the title of this thread....along with the fact you hadn't posted in a while. I was afraid something awful had happened.

Glad things are okay with your dad. Glad to hear he kept only his 'best'. It will will keep him from getting 'old'.

Katherine

Kinda figured the same thing...figured the drought was sucking you under too. If it doens't rain this week I'll have to start feeding next. Been saying I'm not going to do that but will probably cut the herd 25 - 30 % and then feed a little hay till I see what July looks like.

My dad is about to turn 83, has Alzheimers, arthritis in his knees and hips, and no desire to sell his little herd. Mama and I got together to talk him into it last year, but he wanted to keep the little place running for me and my sons and my sister and her kids. Well, in taking care of the place, my son and I have fallen in love with it, and now WE are going to try to be cattlemen, too! Thankfully, it is a small place (150 +/- acres), about a dozen self-reliant Hereford and Angus-mix mama cows, and one really big but gentle and "home-boy" Angus bull. Problem is, the little ranch is 65 miles away, and we can only get down there twice or three times a week. My uncle and my cousin run cattle right next door, so they keep an eye on things when they can, but still ...

Anyway, the subject of "calling it quits" keeps coming up, but now I think I would be the one to go nuts if I didn't have my cows to talk to! :roll:

This is a tough thread that I wish I hadn't started. I sold my cows about 3 years ago as my mom was getting on in years and when I was setting with her (I was thinking of all I needed to do at the barn) and when I was tending to the cows(I was thinking I needed to be at the house with her). She passed away about 2 years ago and I certainly don't regret selling out when I did. However I miss it every day. My father passed away about 34 years ago and I dearly hated those cows at that time. Sold them all and finished college. Five short years later back in the mama cow business until three years ago. Without the cows more time for wife (she likes) more time for church and other worthy causes, but I still miss the cows. Farm is 30 miles from residence and work so the price of cattle, gas, taxes, insurance, FEED and other items have kept me out so far. But, I still miss it! Close to quitting several times and then had to walk up on a newborn calf early on a Mississippi Spring morning and I was hooked for another season. Just an old softy! Well, the Good Lord willing and PETA doesn't succeed, I will likely have cowsin the future, I just don't know when ( and I certainly don't know when I am well off!). God Bless the American Farmer!
Phil in Tupelo

Glad to hear he couldn't get rid of them all! If nothing else they give him something to do every day, which is great.

Heck I vow to quit at least once a week.

Cowboy Blue and Phil in Tupelo -- Hope you are able to get back into or carry on with what your Papa's were doing. My Pa was from a farm family in the Dakotas; his dad passed from pneumonia at about Dad's age 6, leaving 5 kids. Grandma couldn't keep the farm going; lived to 102 yrs. and never remarried. The family struggled as the kids grew. Thereafter, Dad (a pharmacist) always loved doing a bit of work on friends' farms and spending farm time. But he never, EVER had a desire to farm. Third generation hit -- when it hit, it got me and 2 of my sisters, who all do ag stuff (but not the 4 sib brothers). And then, of course, hubby's 99 yr. dad in MO that wishes he could go back to that for the rest of his life. My daughter loves the City, close neighbors, and would rather breathe the scent of exhuast then manure. Her eldest son is looking for something different . . . K

Latest posts