Calling all parents

Help Support CattleToday:

SJB":1th0n70s said:
Sky I wasn't singling your post out, and I didn't meant it to come off as high and mighty as it must have. There are several posters who came down on the side of the notion that the costs didn't matter as long as the family was doing stuff together and he could afford it.

I just happen to disagree with that notion. I understand your point, and respect it. I sure as heck am not saying you're wrong, or anybody else. Just wanted to add my $.02.

I understand didn't feel singled out .. Good friendly clean discussion.. :tiphat:

The kids need to know that life isn't about doing every thing they want. That's to much time from home and on the road to much. Life is to complacated. Even if you had millions to spare I'd still say to cut back.

Williamsv":jnivkur0 said:
Never think about what you spend on your children. Just enjoy every minute that you can with them. I have been looking back at pictures of my daughter when she was two and three. I would give anything to go back and enjoy those years some more.

:lol2:

I have to laugh. I was looking for something and came across the picture below my wife sent me a few years ago. I sent it back to her a couple days ago and asked if she wanted to go back to those days... Her answer and yours didn't match :).

She is a great 5 yr old. In the morning, I have to tell her to go on inside because she'd otherwise be holding the school door open till the last kid went through. I got onto her yesterday for punching one of those handicap buttons as we walked out of a store. She said dad, that lady has a baby... I hadn't even seen the lady yet. She's going to make me proud.

At two? Completely different story! Horrible! Have a newish window in her room to prove it. She tried busting it out one day because she heard her mama was going somewhere without her. And she almost succeeded.

Freeze this one at two? No way! :)

Why not let them enter as many events as they can earn the money for on their own if you can spare them away from the farm that long? That way you will not be out the $$$ and they will appreciate the events that they have earned even more.

hillbilly beef man":11l4qcge said:
Why not let them enter as many events as they can earn the money for on their own if you can spare them away from the farm that long? That way you will not be out the $$$ and they will appreciate the events that they have earned even more.

It would blow your mind, to know what entry fees for 5 events, stalls, and passes cost. Be no way for a kid to scare up that much money.

Bigfoot":222oi9de said:
hillbilly beef man":222oi9de said:

It would blow your mind, to know what entry fees for 5 events, stalls, and passes cost. Be no way for a kid to scare up that much money.

That's why they hired us. :cboy:

I forget what you said on another post, but aren't your kids pretty young?
If they really like to rodeo they can do a lot more later.
You have a full time outside job, you run cattle, and spend 25 weekends a year going to rodeos???
I understand loving rodeo and wanting to do right by your kids, but just thinking about all you are doing and the time involved makes me tired. :???: Makes me think that sooner or later something has to give, considering the the time and energy being spent.

Can you cut back some and see how that goes?
Whatever decision you make, don't let yourself get into guilt. Don't let guilt make your decision.

Ryder":3w2uv1ra said:
You have a full time outside job, you run cattle, and spend 25 weekends a year going to rodeos???
I understand loving rodeo and wanting to do right by your kids, but just thinking about all you are doing and the time involved makes me tired. :???: Makes me think that sooner or later something has to give, considering the the time and energy being spent.

Whatever decision you make, don't let yourself get into guilt. Don't let guilt make your decision.

Yes, kids are small, and I'm 45. That's not old, but it's 45 years old. Hard to make a living, run the farm, and haul all the time.

I hate people that kiss and tell on here, but I feel like I need to put a dollar figure on this

Weekend before last:
Two day rodeo. Entry fees for two kids (I have 3 mind you, one was too young for this event). Stalls (allowed no tieing to trailers) and entry fees were $880. One kid won $28 and the other about $70.

One day deals are half as much , because your just there one day. No stalls to rent, and you sleep in your bed.

Bigfoot":54ja20x8 said:
Ryder":54ja20x8 said:

Yes, kids are small, and I'm 45. That's not old, but it's 45 years old. Hard to make a living, run the farm, and haul all the time.

I hate people that kiss and tell on here, but I feel like I need to put a dollar figure on this

Weekend before last:
Two day rodeo. Entry fees for two kids (I have 3 mind you, one was too young for this event). Stalls (allowed no tieing to trailers) and entry fees were $880. One kid won $28 and the other about $70.

One day deals are half as much , because your just there one day. No stalls to rent, and you sleep in your bed.

$880 for a weekend? You ever thought about taking up licker and wild women? Might be cheaper.

About anything would be cheaper. That figure does not include fuel, food etc. that was the amount of the check I wrote to the rodeo.

3 kids can hit a one day deal for about $250-300.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ukheksn said:
That is a bit steep, I'm almost sorry they introduced you to the sport.

You imagine in a years time, what it all adds up to. Plus the fixed cost. I'm not even going to go in to that. One thing about it, the fixed cost is the same no matter how many we go to.

Well, I guess I thought I'd hear some golden words here that would make me not feel so guilty. Made my mind up today, cutting back. Mostly one day rodeos. If they don't understand now, maybe they will someday. Thanks for the in put.

Once again, not quitting just cutting back to 10, and I'll pick the 10. If they each chose a different rodeo, then I could end up traveling even more.

We'll do that for a year, and see how it goes. More time to practice, more time to physically grow, maybe have more play days at my house for the locals.

Bigfoot":38e05opk said:
Well, I guess I thought I'd hear some golden words here that would make me not feel so guilty. Made my mind up today, cutting back. Mostly one day rodeos. If they don't understand now, maybe they will someday. Thanks for the in put.

Once again, not quitting just cutting back to 10, and I'll pick the 10. If they each chose a different rodeo, then I could end up traveling even more.

We'll do that for a year, and see how it goes. More time to practice, more time to physically grow, maybe have more play days at my house for the locals.

Put the total amount you are willing to spend and tell them and then let them get their heads together and decide with you having veto power. Also wasn't you having some trouble with grandpa and grandma a few days ago,

Bigfoot there is no need to feel guilty about cutting back. No one gets to do everything that they want to do, and as we all know it is worse when you are an adult.
Figure out how much you feel comfortable doing and let them choose the events they want to go to.
If you have the money where you could afford to go to all of the rodeos, take the money that is not spent and set it aside for the kids for a rainy day. It could go towards college, a vehicle when they graduate from high school (needless to say all of our 5 kids did not get a vehicle until after high school, they had ours to use), or the start for their own nest egg for the future.
The sign that you feel that it is time to cut back is reason enough. They will survive.

Boy it adds up quickly doesn't it? We tried our hand at cutting horses. In two years we spent north of $15,000. I had a blast, and it was an absolutely wonderful experience for my wife. The connection with the horse and having to learn how to control it was one of the best lessons in life she's ever had. Heck, she even won her class against people with big money horses and had been riding all their lives. However, we sat down one day and figured out how much money was going out the door and the level of fun was not equivalent. It's been tough, but we had to move. I hope your kids will understand that sometimes you don't always get to do what you want ALL the time. That you have to pick and choose. It's not always an easy thing to learn, but with time, and good direction from the parents, they'll get it.

Latest posts