Calling all parents

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow I knew timed event were expensive with hauling the horse and everything but didn't know it was that much. I always stuck to rough stock and even that was pretty pricy. I don't have any kids so I cant offer any advice. I know when I was a kid my parents wouldn't let me ride rough stock, and I still wish I could of started out younger even if it was only 10 events a year and gone to some ridding schools.

I have heard the saying that you should spend half as much money and twice as much time with your kids. In many cases this is true.

Go to the closer ones, consolidate and don't go two directions on the same weekend, and go with the cheaper one day events. I was just about to this point with my kids and the oldest boy decided to quit and concentrate on baseball and basketball. The oldest girl was old enough to quit the junior stuff and go on her own. Or we would put her in with other barrel racers to travel with but she would have to pay her share. The younger kids hadn't gotten into rodeoing. It is one expensive hobby.

If you can rope like a wolf, go run with the wolves. Lots of kids can't do it but some can. I remember Bucky Campbell taking a lot of adults money team roping when he was 14.

Dave":18zrxv8y said:
I have heard the saying that you should spend half as much money and twice as much time with your kids. In many cases this is true.

Go to the closer ones, consolidate and don't go two directions on the same weekend, and go with the cheaper one day events. I was just about to this point with my kids and the oldest boy decided to quit and concentrate on baseball and basketball. The oldest girl was old enough to quit the junior stuff and go on her own. Or we would put her in with other barrel racers to travel with but she would have to pay her share. The younger kids hadn't gotten into rodeoing. It is one expensive hobby.

If you can rope like a wolf, go run with the wolves. Lots of kids can't do it but some can. I remember Bucky Campbell taking a lot of adults money team roping when he was 14.

I know what your saying. We've tried our luck with the wolves twice now, and just not ready. Entry fees are actually cheaper to. Kinda wish it had worked. He knocked his calf all the way down this weekend. Hit the end of the rope like a stack of bricks. Calf wouldn't get up, and he couldn't pick it up.

Bigfoot I did the best I could for my kids. For us it was basketball and softball. One turned out perfect and the other is in prison. She came home from college a meth head. The one in prison has had me second guessing over and over. There are parents who never do anything. Never coach and some don't even brings kids to practice. Maybe I met the mother but never the father and he didn't even show up for championship games. Kids turn out fine.

You're involved. 10 Rodeos a year seems like a lot. You'll get time with them.

We're five pages into this thread and we're still talking about children and choices. What's up with that? I've been following along for a few days now and am really proud of the CT members. Their hearts must be in the right place!

Better that they learn while young about the cost of living and making choices than be clueless like so many young people today whose parents gave them everything.
It will work out. There will be sadness, but in the long run you are doing the right thing. Life lessons can be tough.

I have to say, it wasn't a tough decision, but it hurt a little. They now want to spend their money to enter more. Personally, it's so expensive, I'm just not going to let them do that. I feel like their money is being saved for more important reasons.

Bigfoot":23v0w04c said:
I feel like their money is being saved for more important reasons.

And you are absolutely right. I had some money that I spent on hockey equipment when I was a kid. Yes, it was a great experience, but I wish I had kept that money in the mutual funds so that I would have had it later when I really needed it. It's hard to look to the future when you're a kid, but it's necessary.

I feel like updating this thread. I was really torn on what to do, and got some good sound advice, that helped me make my mind up. I did cut our rodeo season down. The wife never came around to my way of thinking. There's no rif between us over it, but she wasn't in support of the decision. As of now, I have 9 rodeos picked out. We have already competed in 2 of those. More than likely, we will stop at 10. The absolute ceiling is 12, but I doubt we will go to that many. Nobody is particularly happy with me, and I feel like a slime ball. It had to be though. We were just gone too much, and spending too much money. I'm picking open rodeos, one day deals, and added money. The kids seem intimidated by competing against adults, and performing to a larger crowd, but trying harder. My daughter landed on a check, and it was easily 10 times more, than a youth rodeo would have ever paid. We all slept in our own bed, and only ate one meal out. I also don't want to sound lazy, but the rodeos were pure relaxation for me. I didn't have to do anything. At a youth rodeo, I'd end up working from daylight till 6:00 at night, then on Sunday I'd help tear down and load. These were over and done in 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and somebody else did it all. I also didn't have to listen to anybody's parent or grandparent tell me how it should be done. I'll also add, one of the best ways to improve is to compete against people that are better than you. The kids (my son especially) seemed pretty humbled by getting beat. I think it's going to change the way they practice, and compete. There's no reason to make a safe run when there's a 10 in calf ropin, and a 14 in barrels on the board. Safe runs and consistency could win almost any youth series you go to. At an open rodeo, you have to give 110% every time. I personally think there is more to be learned from the effort, than waiting and letting someone else's mistake beat them.

Bigfoot":o120vsy9 said:
I feel like updating this thread. I was really torn on what to do, and got some good sound advice, that helped me make my mind up. I did cut our rodeo season down. The wife never came around to my way of thinking. There's no rif between us over it, but she wasn't in support of the decision. As of now, I have 9 rodeos picked out. We have already competed in 2 of those. More than likely, we will stop at 10. The absolute ceiling is 12, but I doubt we will go to that many. Nobody is particularly happy with me, and I feel like a slime ball. It had to be though. We were just gone too much, and spending too much money. I'm picking open rodeos, one day deals, and added money. The kids seem intimidated by competing against adults, and performing to a larger crowd, but trying harder. My daughter landed on a check, and it was easily 10 times more, than a youth rodeo would have ever paid. We all slept in our own bed, and only ate one meal out. I also don't want to sound lazy, but the rodeos were pure relaxation for me. I didn't have to do anything. At a youth rodeo, I'd end up working from daylight till 6:00 at night, then on Sunday I'd help tear down and load. These were over and done in 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and somebody else did it all. I also didn't have to listen to anybody's parent or grandparent tell me how it should be done. I'll also add, one of the best ways to improve is to compete against people that are better than you. The kids (my son especially) seemed pretty humbled by getting beat. I think it's going to change the way they practice, and compete. There's no reason to make a safe run when there's a 10 in calf ropin, and a 14 in barrels on the board. Safe runs and consistency could win almost any youth series you go to. At an open rodeo, you have to give 110% every time. I personally think there is more to be learned from the effort, than waiting and letting someone else's mistake beat them.

This is a fact! I coach the throwers at our local high school (very small school). Its always interesting when we take our kids to sectionals and regionals and they throw against the 'big' schools. One of my favorite aspects is anticipating which kids will respond and seek to improve themselves.

bball":2szk942h said:
Bigfoot":2szk942h said:

This is a fact! I coach the throwers at our local high school (very small school). Its always interesting when we take our kids to sectionals and regionals and they throw against the 'big' schools. One of my favorite aspects is anticipating which kids will respond and seek to improve themselves.

I whole heartily agree. When I started rodeoing I traveled for a time with a guy who was a former world champion. He said if you want to be a champion travel with and compete against champions. Rodeo is not about safe runs. It is about winning first every time the gate cracks open. So for kids it is learning what they need to do to be better.