Calling all Herford folks

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Horned Herford Bull to put on some black girls an I'd like some names to call or stay away from. PM if you'd rather an lets try not to have a pi$$ing contest about how good Angus are. I have Angus an I want some black baldies an maybe buy some Gray Brahmans an make some real cows that can take this part of the world. I know we have some top notch breeders on here but don't know which ones have bulls to sale.

tripleBfarms":gvht47s7 said:
Sounds good to me. Why horned though?
They are going on angus an then those heifers will go to back on a angus bull so calves will be polled. Just like horned better weather it's right or not. Lots of debate on here about the merits of both horned an polled.

Jed,

I would say pick the best bull you can get for the money and do not worry about his head gear. after all they are all one association now right?

I like horned hereford too,, had a couple, but no way id use one in a crossbred program any more.. as many good polled bulls that are out there now... plus im still getting scurs to show up every now and then

Horns don't make a bull better, better breeders make a bull better. I know atleast one astute horned guy on CT that went over to the dark side because his polls are simply better cattle than any of the horned ones he had (and they came from pretty reputable breeders)

Red Bull Breeder":une2hr2e said:
Jed i got a little red horned bull up here that wouldn't take much white paint for him to look like a Hereford on steroids.

Better duck your head RBB, them Herford folks will be chunking rocks at you. :lol: :lol:

A couple of weeks ago we had to drive a bunch of cows and calves about 20 miles to a new pasture. It was cold, snowey, and slick. The first day the twenty horned Herefords led the way the whole day even though they had never been on that route and had no idea of where they were going. All the other cattle had been down that route many times but could barely keep up. There were blacks, black baldies, and dehorned Herefords in the followers. Eighteen of the twenty horned cows were first through the gate. I thought that the second day the horneds would be slower because they should have been tired out but again they were the first through the gate. Horneds are absolutley more agressive and that suits our big, open, rough range just fine. They graze farther from the water hole and protect their calves.

We have neighbors that have horned Herefords but dehorn all of them and they are just as dogey as the polls. It is a psychological thing with those weapons.

Idaman":2lqit6ru said:
A couple of weeks ago we had to drive a bunch of cows and calves about 20 miles to a new pasture. It was cold, snowey, and slick. The first day the twenty horned Herefords led the way the whole day even though they had never been on that route and had no idea of where they were going. All the other cattle had been down that route many times but could barely keep up. There were blacks, black baldies, and dehorned Herefords in the followers. Eighteen of the twenty horned cows were first through the gate. I thought that the second day the horneds would be slower because they should have been tired out but again they were the first through the gate. Horneds are absolutley more agressive and that suits our big, open, rough range just fine. They graze farther from the water hole and protect their calves.

We have neighbors that have horned Herefords but dehorn all of them and they are just as dogey as the polls. It is a psychological thing with those weapons.
Stories like that are what make me like the horned ones.

Another observation on the issue of the dominant characteristics of horned cattle has occurred since we put those cows we drove 20 miles to the new pasture. We have to haul water to those cows and if they are a little low then they all come right over to the truck and tanks to be first for a drink. The horned cows always arrive first and keep the others away until they are finished. Not only just finished but they hang around the tank and watch the person watering them for a long time still keeping the others away. Finally they drift off to eat some more.

I don't know whether this a good or bad tendency but it is humorous to watch.

TexasBred":18aph5b4 said:
I think that's how most horned cattle are. They know they have those horns and the others do to. :D

That is the point. The agressiveness is the result of possessing horns regardless of breed.

I wonder if leaving those plastic heading horns on for a long time would work? :cowboy:

We dehorn our Herefords. Seen them chase coyotes. Son got a ride on the head of one ticked cow and she got a one way trip in the trailer.
In the last 16 years we have shipped 4 cows and 1 bull because of a really nasty temperment and action.
There are the few that are the "boss" cows that will stand there and look at you and you keep an eye on them, but they have never tried to take us.

Latest posts