For all you Brimmer Pimps

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe I am getting wiser or dumber by the minute, depends on who you ask. But, I'm way past worrying about how long or the first time someone saw a Brahman. I wanna know the 2 F's- feet and fertility.

Happy Holidays to all

One of my personal regrets in my most blessed life so far is that I never had a Brahma! As much as I would have liked to had one (or more0
I know it would have been wrong due to where I am located. A little grayish white flop eared Brahma heifer, yes!

The part of the video that states how you take care of them determines how easy they are to take care of is spot on.

I bought two skinny young red brahman pairs at the sale barn two years ago for $1450 each. That was the price the auctioneer started them at and I was the only one who bid. I thought it was a fair price. They had big black beefy type bull calves with some ear that I figured I could sell and get half my money back. They went through the ring a little skittish but not two bad.
I unloaded them into the pens and knew right away I had made a mistake as the cows were a little scary like man eaters and their 400 lbs calves were complete nuts bouncing off the pen fencing.

I finally got them worked and turned them into the herd but had a bad feeling they were going to go over the fence. The cows remained elusive but stayed home and the calves sold off as expected three months later for over $800 each. It was a complete turn around after the calves were weaned. The cows settled down and are now the type you thrive for. You don't pet them but they will not move away from you unless you get inside their social distance circle of about 6 feet. They have gone from 900lbs when I bought them to 1350 or so now. They hold their weight very well through the summer and winter on my crappy forage and raise a better than average black calf when bred to Angus. I could very easily be talked into buying some more of them but they don't come around very often at the price I paid for these.

Here is one of them just after calving.

Attachments

• Resized_20190914_163723(1).jpeg
    Resized_20190914_163723(1).jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 22
Good video. They are definitely amazing animals. I'm still fascinated daily by the purebreds, f1s, and other crosses.
The thing that struck me was how far north they are. That video was based out of North Carolina. NC is about the same latitude as me. I see them here, so,,,,

How much farther up can they go?

The part of the video that states how you take care of them determines how easy they are to take care of is spot on.

I bought two skinny young red brahman pairs at the sale barn two years ago for $1450 each. That was the price the auctioneer started them at and I was the only one who bid. I thought it was a fair price. They had big black beefy type bull calves with some ear that I figured I could sell and get half my money back. They went through the ring a little skittish but not two bad.
I unloaded them into the pens and knew right away I had made a mistake as the cows were a little scary like man eaters and their 400 lbs calves were complete nuts bouncing off the pen fencing.

I finally got them worked and turned them into the herd but had a bad feeling they were going to go over the fence. The cows remained elusive but stayed home and the calves sold off as expected three months later for over $800 each. It was a complete turn around after the calves were weaned. The cows settled down and are now the type you thrive for. You don't pet them but they will not move away from you unless you get inside their social distance circle of about 6 feet. They have gone from 900lbs when I bought them to 1350 or so now. They hold their weight very well through the summer and winter on my crappy forage and raise a better than average black calf when bred to Angus. I could very easily be talked into buying some more of them but they don't come around very often at the price I paid for these.

Here is one of them just after calving.
She looks like a 3/4 or 7/8 type to me. I ended up picking up a couple like that with some F1s we bought a while back. I was very happy with how hardy they were and just that 1/8-1/4 cross out was enough to make them handle a lot easier than a straight blood. They ended up having some of my top weaning weights. We took a Brahman bull and put him across some mixed cows that were any where from 3/8 to 1/2 Brahman and got some good heifers. I like the F1s, but if you have some solid commercial, or Brangus, Braford type cows... any thing with a touch of ear... and can get a good Brahman bull on them... those 3/4s types are hard to beat IMO.

We are talking about doing another batch but AI-ing since we sold our Brahman bull.

Last edited:
The thing that struck me was how far north they are. That video was based out of North Carolina. NC is about the same latitude as me. I see them here, so,,,,

How much farther up can they go?
I'm not sure but if you get on the Brahman FB pages you will see them all over. Not sure how much pampering they are getting to do that. Bet it wouldnt take much of an outcross, like these 3/4s were were talking about, to get them pretty far north.

20200903_152807.jpg
20201023_204722.jpg

The one with the cool markings on top is a 3/4 blood whose mom is a F1 Braford and dad is Brahman bull in my profile. She produces heifers that I retain almost every year. She might have the most offspring in our pasture out of any other cow. Her heifer from last is in the pic with the group of heifers.

The group of heifers on bottom is the individual calves up top, grown up.

Last edited:
So for every great F1 heifer you get to keep or sell, how much do you get hit selling the "ears and leather" on steers? Does the heifer profit margin make up for the dock at sale barn?

Wow, very nice young heifers. I agree that mine have a percentage of something else, maybe Hereford. The one not pictured shows more of the Brahman looks. The one shown is very fertile. The other one not so much and is currently out of sequence with the herd. I am hoping she will pick up a month or two or she will get shipped to the spring calving group.

So for every great F1 heifer you get to keep or sell, how much do you get hit selling the "ears and leather" on steers? Does the heifer profit margin make up for the dock at sale barn?
10 to 20 cents on average but they are carrying an extra hundred pounds or more.
They mash the scales harder.
Heifers bring big bucks.

There are a lot of factors. For one these animals are designed to thrive where other wont. If you have improved pasture with great soil and what not you may not need to the Brahman influence.

In our area our straight steers bring 1.2-1.25 on avg. The F1s Brangus can get up real close with in a nickle or dime the F1 Brafords will be around a dime or so off.

The females can get up there depending on the marketing. At weening I wont even consider parting with an F1 for less than $1500 and a straight for less than $2000.

F1s can be easier to get in to. Straights are an expensive game.

One of my big deals on the F1 females is their salvage price. I can can haul an old bred F1 in that is 15+ years old to auction and get $1300-1500 dollars. Their Brangus, Braford, or "black" counter part will bring $750-900.

So if you combine the whole deal of lower inputs, higher weaning weights, longer production, higher salvage, less calf loss to predators or stupidity, it can be a good deal.

We are in a drought right now and those Brimmers and Xs are really earning their keep. I was deer hunting and watched a group come down my ROW working over the yaupon and oak. They will be the furthest from water also grazing.

There are a lot of factors. For one these animals are designed to thrive where other wont. If you have improved pasture with great soil and what not you may not need to the Brahman influence.

In our area our straight steers bring 1.2-1.25 on avg. The F1s Brangus can get up real close with in a nickle or dime the F1 Brafords will be around a dime or so off.

The females can get up there depending on the marketing. At weening I wont even consider parting with an F1 for less than $1500 and a straight for less than $2000.

F1s can be easier to get in to. Straights are an expensive game.

One of my big deals on the F1 females is their salvage price. I can can haul an old bred F1 in that is 15+ years old to auction and get $1300-1500 dollars. Their Brangus, Braford, or "black" counter part will bring $750-900.

So if you combine the whole deal of lower inputs, higher weaning weights, longer production, higher salvage, less calf loss to predators or stupidity, it can be a good deal.

We are in a drought right now and those Brimmers and Xs are really earning their keep. I was deer hunting and watched a group come down my ROW working over the yaupon and oak. They will be the furthest from water also grazing.
All correct I have had many Brimmer cross work into her twenties.

Latest posts