Callicrate Smart bander

Help Support CattleToday:

dolliver

Reaction score
I'm considering trying the Callicrate Smart Bander and I was looking for advice from anyone that uses this product. Thanks

I used it a couple years ago, on a few bulls I missed. IMO it was big and hard to handle for one person. With a #500 + calf in a chute, I found it difficult to keep his legs spread, and get the right angle to operate the bander with out doing too much damage to myself. Maybe with some help it would go okay? If you use it, get an ear tag cutter to cut the bands. Works great.

Dee":1xv3llgm said:
If you use it, get an ear tag cutter to cut the bands. Works great.

The callicrate bander is nearly all I use anymore. One hint: make sure you have all fingers accounted for before you cut the band. Other wise you will end up with quite a raspberry, don't ask me how I know.

It does seem awkward to use at first, but you get the hang of it after a while.

it ahelps to have two people to do the job. I, like dee found it too big and cumbersome at first, but with practice it gets better. I use a side cutter for the bands, but I can see wher the tag remover would work slick. Don't forget to crimp the band before yu cut it. That is my biggest mistake when I'm in a hurry, then you have to start over.

We use the EZ Bander also when we miss a calf and he's too big for the cherio bander. We don't miss that many so I've never gotten great at it but it's not hard. It takes some getting used to but works well. Looked at the callicrate and decided it was too high compared to the EZ but nothing else against it.

Craig-TX

We too used the bander last year on big calves (about 500+ lbs.) worked great if you can have a helper hold the tail so you can take your time. We gave a tetanus shot a couple of weeks before & a booster the day we did it. I cut the pouch off after about a week or 10 days & hosed it off, otherwise the drainage tended to keep the band from falling off entirely later. Bander worked great.

Craig-TX":nkx38kdo said:
We use the EZ Bander also when we miss a calf and he's too big for the cherio bander. We don't miss that many so I've never gotten great at it but it's not hard. It takes some getting used to but works well. Looked at the callicrate and decided it was too high compared to the EZ but nothing else against it.

Craig-TX

Craig,

You & Shorty referred to EZ & E-Z banders. Is that the same as the EZE bander that utilizes surgical tubing & a metal clip that crimps on the stretched tubing to secure the loop around the sack? Mine says EZE & was wondering if that is what yall have or is a different manufacuturer with a similar name.

Third yr for me & I have grown to like it pretty well. As with most things, it was tough at first but you soon get the hang of it & the added calf growth makes the slower process well worth it.

Latest posts