calf wont suck

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmama

Reaction score
We have just adopted what we are calling a mentally challenged calf.
HE WILL NOT SUCK A BOTTLE. n :( :(
He will suck my finger but very lightly.
We have been bag feeding him for a week now and would really appreciate some advice.
THANK YOU

A few choices here - assuming the animal is healthy:

1: Feed as able

2: Force feed in hopes of it coming around - ie: tubing

3: Sell it

I am the type that tosses problems asap - no time and certainly no interest in throwing what may be ggod money after bad. Lots of potential opinions on this one and it is YOUR decision.

A tremendous amount on this topic can be found by doing a search - have a look and you will be surprized. Might be something you can use.

But ... time and money are something to be looked after. Give it a couple of days and then in my opinion - toss it if no improvement.

Bez

Try bottle feeding him. Enlarge the hole in the nipple so milk will run out without having to suck on it. This will allow him to practice sucking and swallowing without having to work too hard at it. Put the nipple in his mouth and hold mouth shut so he has to swallow. Pour a little and stop, pour a little and stop, etc. Keep in mind this will be a slow and messy process. May take a few days too. The light bulb will eventually click on. It has for ours anyway. Good Luck.

you might try karo syrup on your finger and let it get the taste as he sucks your finger. Put same on nipple of bottle. When it starts sucking your finger transfer its mouth to the bottle for the same taste.

I know what you mean calling it mentally challenged. I had one that I swore was too. But it did finally get going and now mom can't keep him off. But it did take a few days. With the mom cow we also put karo syrup on her to transfer the sucking. just a little though.

Latest posts