Calf Won't Suck - TIP

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":25gsywxn said:
What makes you so perfect to be so judgemental? Poke your stick somewhere else - --- in your eye maybe.

I want to raise cattle in an area that can support them without having weak calves that require needling.
Maybe someday you will be able to work toward that goal instead of attacking me.

Sounds like your cattle are just short of being on life support, ever consider sheep?

AngusLimoX":1h3pva7b said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1h3pva7b said:
What makes you so perfect to be so judgemental? Poke your stick somewhere else - --- in your eye maybe.

I want to raise cattle in an area that can support them without having weak calves that require needling.
Maybe someday you will be able to work toward that goal instead of attacking me.

Sounds like your cattle are just short of being on life support, ever consider sheep?
Who's calling the kettle black??? I'm attacking YOU! let's get real.
Your "comeback" makes no sense at all - but children tend to do that. When you get in the real world and learn different places require different managements, then maybe we can hold an adult conversation.

On to a better topic.
Jim, sounds like you've got a good mix there. As mentioned, we had to raise the level of SE in the mineral to the amounts listed just to get our cattle's blood level up to a normal range. But, this is a custom mix made in our name. Gov't regulations do not allow anyone to put out a product with more than 3 MG per pound fed. In order to convert PPM to MG/#, you multiply the PPM x .4536.
So, your 6.6 PPM x .4536 = 2.99376 MG (the 3 MG allowed) Unless there has been gov't reg changes that I haven't heard about, this is the maximum amount available in all OTC products.
Our mineral is based on 2 oz/hd/day.
I would NEVER recommend for anyone to triple the dose. This was done with blood work & under the supervision of a vet. But,this shows how deficient our area is.

Well purely by accident I have to endorse the solution presented above.

i have had a couple of calves that would not suck and eventually they all learned and it was just easier on me to tube em than it was to fight them at the cow. almost every one learned it on his own rather than as a result of me wrassling them over the teat.

I milked the cow at least once a day any way to relieve the pressure on her and usually fed that milk with the tube feeder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1zn9w2vh said:
We don't wait to SEE if a calf NEEDS it.

Who started the yelling. Your area is deficient, ( in more ways than one I see ) but you yell at others that use different management stategies, and try to improve their situation. We aren't all as deficient as you. but then you know it all.

Good reason not to go anywhere near cattle from your area though.

Must be you are pretty sensitive. Others also gave shots "as needed". I was making a point about what we do here. Nothing more.
And, showing how little you understand the situation, the CATTLE aren't deficient of SE unless their feed source is. When cattle get fed feed that is sufficient in SE, than so are the cattle.
Just trying to help those that are willing to open their mind on a subject I happen to be familiar with.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":rljfme1p said:
Must be you are pretty sensitive. Others also gave shots "as needed". I was making a point about what we do here. Nothing more.

I guess thats why you yelled.
And Yes, I am known for my sensitivity. I also detest know it alls.

And Yes, maybe I do understand the deficiency situation, because I don't needle my calves any more without reason.
And I don't need a University or vet to tell me I had 100 percent calving with normal to exceptional growth.No needles.

AngusLimoX":37wunpgo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":37wunpgo said:

I guess thats why you yelled.
And Yes, I am known for my sensitivity. I also detest know it alls.

And Yes, maybe I do understand the deficiency situation, because I don't needle my calves any more without reason.
And I don't need a University or vet to tell me I had 100 percent calving with normal to exceptional growth.No needles.
I'm so proud of you. You are doing a GREAT job. Keep up the good work.

Jim, SRBEEF

What do you get for average actual consumption/head if you keep it out year round with the barrels? Do you see a seasonal difference? I know every area has different mineral mix requirements. Compared to the loose bag mixes I am familiar with I would guess they are asking for about 1/2 lb/day.

In the Rocky Mountain High Plains 12-12-12 w/ 4-6 oz target consumption is the general lower cost generic loose mix, with high Mag prior to green up. A couple of companies offer special mixes based soil differences, sandhills,high elevation, red desert, ect. At one time I was told that chelated (sp) minerals tended to be more readily available to the animal, but that could have been a sales pitch.

I really didn't hear a lot about higher selenium out west, mostly Hi mag in the spring and higher copper levels. I am still trying to get a handle on what guys like and what I need to be looking for down in Alabama.

I started the cows on salt blocks and the Sweetlix Hi Mag 14-1-14 summer mix the local dealer had on hand when the cows first got here in October. Sweetlix cuts it with 26% salt to keep the cost down, It don't mind it so bad when I'm trying to get the consumption stabilized, I just hate to pay $280 or $300/ton for salt.
Then I rolled into their 6% copperhead Its 14-6-2 I have no idea why. It does have higher copper 1800ppm, manganese 5400ppm, zink 5400 and elevated AD&E. I have never found potassium on a feed tag down here. Both of these ran 26ppm selenium.

I must be ok so far, the calves are 10 lbs lighter down here but they jump right up, and so far the cows have been cleaning good. I have my eye on one of the Copperhead Hi Mag products but I'm still fishing.@

backhoeboogie":wrhilfe6 said:
The die hard calves go in a chute with me straddling them, their backside to the wall, head up neck back, mouth open, nipple in and the milk trickling. They'll swallow eventually. Once the jaws start moving I start relaxing pressure.
I'll do bum calves that way, but the problem I have had with that when trying to get them to suck the cow, is once they suck on the bottle a few times, they sometimes don't know to look for mama for food. They look to you. I do the same thing as randi, tubing them for a couple days, don't want them to suck a bottle unless I absolutely have to. And, like randi, it has worked every time I have done it. Though admittedly I haven't had to tube a lot of calves.

Jim I hope you can find my paragraph with the consumption question above. Had I known a hocky game was gong to break out here before I had a chance to come back and finish my thoughts I would have quoted your feed tag.@

SRBeef":3hsooq8v said:
Jeanne,the Wisconsin link is especially useful to me because that describes our soils accurately: "highly variable". Shortages of trace minerals I think can be the source of a number of problems. This is why I feel so strong about the Mineralyx barrels. As expensive as they are "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" as they say. Here is their ingredient list:

Crude Protein, min ............................................................6.0%
Crude Fat, min ....................................................................3.0%
Crude Fiber, max ...............................................................2.0%
Calcium (Ca), min .............................................................3.5%
Calcium (Ca), max ............................................................4.5%
Phosphorus (P), min ..........................................................4.0%
Salt (NaCl), .......................................................... None Added
Potassium (K), min ............................................................2.5%
Magnesium (Mg), min ......................................................3.0%
Cobalt (Co), min ..............................................................5 ppm
Copper (Cu), min ........................................................ 500 ppm
Iodine (I), min ................................................................25 ppm
Manganese (Mn), min .............................................2,000 ppm
Selenium (Se), min ...................................................... 6.6 ppm
Zinc (Zn), min ..........................................................1,500 ppm
Vitamin A, min ..................................................100,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D, min .................................................... 10,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, min ..........................................................100 IU/lb

6.6 ppm is not much but evidently it's enough. I am not around to give shots as you do at calving time. This barrel seems to work - and they consume it. Jim

"I just hate to pay $280 or $300/ton for salt."
I just looked at my math at $13/bag its $520/ton.@
:oops: :oops: :oops:

AudieWyoming":3d05qv0l said:
Jim, SRBEEF

What do you get for average actual consumption/head if you keep it out year round with the barrels? Do you see a seasonal difference? I know every area has different mineral mix requirements. Compared to the loose bag mixes I am familiar with I would guess they are asking for about 1/2 lb/day.

In the Rocky Mountain High Plains 12-12-12 w/ 4-6 oz target consumption is the general lower cost generic loose mix, with high Mag prior to green up. A couple of companies offer special mixes based soil differences, sandhills,high elevation, red desert, ect. At one time I was told that chelated (sp) minerals tended to be more readily available to the animal, but that could have been a sales pitch.

I really didn't hear a lot about higher selenium out west, mostly Hi mag in the spring and higher copper levels. I am still trying to get a handle on what guys like and what I need to be looking for down in Alabama.

I started the cows on salt blocks and the Sweetlix Hi Mag 14-1-14 summer mix the local dealer had on hand when the cows first got here in October. Sweetlix cuts it with 26% salt to keep the cost down, It don't mind it so bad when I'm trying to get the consumption stabilized, I just hate to pay $280 or $300/ton for salt.
Then I rolled into their 6% copperhead Its 14-6-2 I have no idea why. It does have higher copper 1800ppm, manganese 5400ppm, zink 5400 and elevated AD&E. I have never found potassium on a feed tag down here. Both of these ran 26ppm selenium.

I must be ok so far, the calves are 10 lbs lighter down here but they jump right up, and so far the cows have been cleaning good. I have my eye on one of the Copperhead Hi Mag products but I'm still fishing.@

I don't have actual consumption or cost per year per head figures at hand right now. Their data sheet says typical consumption rates are 0.5-1.0 lb per day but I see far less/the barrells last a lot longer than that would indicate.

However I do know consumption varies a lot thru the year. I also know that since I have been using it I have not had one calving problem (knock on wood) and my neighbor who got me started with Mineralyx has few problems also. Its hard to do a cost/benefit analysis when you have no problems. Crystalyx has some avg consumption figures on their website as I recall.

I like the idea it has no salt. I put out pure salt blocks near the waterer. I noticed the hay group consumes more salt than the corn group. Cattle will take in what they need if we let them choose, in my opinion.

Here's the full data sheet on the mineral I use. I think it helps to really closely compare labels between minerals especially. Many of the trace elements are expensive to produce. http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Mineral-lyx.pdf

Good luck.

Grubbie, you are right about them not "looking" for mom if sucked a bottle, but, I found if they will suck a bottle, they will suck your finger, so I would just get them on the finger & replace it with a teat. Once they suck the teat, there's no going back! :banana:
Audie - interesting you mentioned the lower birth weights. That fits with all the "research" saying Northern (cold) climate calves are heavier than Southern.
Interesting how different min mixes can be. We have Potassium as a % (0.0082),
Copper yours: 1800 ours 2473 + organic 1080
Manganese: 5400 ours 4940 + organic 1716
Zink: 5400 ours 7030 + organic 3100
I know we started adding an organic package (supposed? to be more available?) because we needed the better SE and we have quite a lot of sulfur in our cattle water which inhibits the use of copper.
I always had heard "hard grass" is supposed to be "richer" and "soft - washy grass" is weaker. I have to "assume" we have what they would call weaker grass because it grows so quickly.

Jeanne
I know you have to be careful, cattle just can't utilize some forms of mineral and it's just passed through, but if I ever knewhow that works, I don't now. I am guessing your or organic number is the more accessable portion.

I fed various qualities of alfalfa through the winter (and drought!) I am sure much of that extra protein just passed on through but I think thats where a lot of the larger BW (and twins) came from.

Its light I need to go run the cows. Sorry we hijacked the thread but this turned into an interesting topic.@

AudieWyoming":3fk44ha2 said:
Jeanne
I know you have to be careful, cattle just can't utilize some forms of mineral and it's just passed through, but if I ever knewhow that works, I don't now. I am guessing your or organic number is the more accessable portion.

I fed various qualities of alfalfa through the winter (and drought!) I am sure much of that extra protein just passed on through but I think thats where a lot of the larger BW (and twins) came from.

Its light I need to go run the cows. Sorry we hijacked the thread but this turned into an interesting topic.@

I am quite certain that your higher protiens are where the large BWs come from. About 10 years ago, we had access to split chickpeas (which we got for free). Thinking that that was great feed for our cattle, we fed it to our girls. Probably fed them about 4-5 lbs/day. We had the highest BW's we have ever had, topped out at over 150 lbs on a straight hereford bull calf (C-section) and 2 135 lb calves, one out of a heifer (pulled) and another out of a 3 year old(unassisted). We've never had weights quite like that since. Sure, we get the odd big calf, but not like that year.

As far as twins, I have to disagree. They are decided at conception, could be that the good grasses at that time have something to do with it, but I'm not sure about that. I think that's more a genetics and/or chance thing.

Getting back to feeding calves. The only calves we tube are ones that genuinely won't/can't suck, and for that I use the technique in the original post. Not calves that I have to get on a bottle or onto another cow, and I know they CAN suck.

We've used numerous methods of getting a bottle calf onto a cow, and a older calf onto a bottle. One I've found that works great for transplanting an older bottle calf to a cow is to leave them hungry for about a day, then to give them just a bit of a bottle. Have seen this one work numerous times, just give them 1/2 pint or less and they are so hungry, that all they are thinking about is sucking something, and they forget that they didn't want to suck the cow.

As for getting an older calf onto a bottle, and by older, I mean anything that has sucked a cow for more than a couple days, although usually the older they are the more difficult they are. About all you can do with these ones is to let them go hungry and keep trying. I've seen some posts about using syrup or sugar on a nipple, and have never tried that, I think I might though. Another tip for these calves is to use the soft rubber/latex nipples that fit over a pop bottle or even use a black lamb nipple, these nipples are way more like a REAL teat than those big fat harder rubber ones on most bottles and pails. Once you have the calf used to the idea of being handled by a human, and this is a big part of why they won't suck, and sucking these softer nipples you usually don't have too much trouble changing them over to the other type. And yet another tip is to back them into a corner and straddle their shoulders. I will often pull their head right up into my chest and hold it there firmly while trying to get them to suck. Anything to imitate/trick them into the idea that YOU are now MOM. After all, you have to remember you are dealing with an ORPHAN here, and one that has just lost everything it knew, and you can't exactly explain things to them!!

randiliana":1bgwrxex said:
than those big fat harder rubber ones on most bottles and pails.

Haven't seen one of those that didn't work a lot better after being opened up a bit more with my knife.
Poor little booger suckin like mad but no milk coming out makes it hard to convince him it's a good thing.

AngusLimoX":2yd5is46 said:
randiliana":2yd5is46 said:
than those big fat harder rubber ones on most bottles and pails.

Haven't seen one of those that didn't work a lot better after being opened up a bit more with my knife.
Poor little booger suckin like mad but no milk coming out makes it hard to convince him it's a good thing.
Yup, we do the same thing.
Randi - I caught that same comment about the alfalfa & twins. The higher nutrition AT CONCEPTION, does affect twinning (maternal twins). Genetics & chance do play a big role, also.

randiliana":3nkaye6n said:
We've used numerous methods of getting a bottle calf onto a cow

This is a pic of my nursing crate. It helps with grafting stubborn calves onto stubborn cows. My nurse cow happens to be in the pic.

I can put that crate in a pen near one of my medina gates and crowd a hungry calf towards the cow. Sometimes it turns out simple. Usually after a few days of nursing the calf has the cow's scent and the cow accepts it.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

This sounds nuts but has worked on stubborn calves, some it did not. Take a hand full of sugar and shove it in their mouth. Immediately stick the nipple in.

Latest posts