Calf Won't Lead

Help Support CattleToday:

299alexa

Reaction score
I am showing a starter calf in 4-h in less than a month, and suddenly he refuses to walk on the lead. He won't go anywhere. I'm lucky if I can even get him out of the barn. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm out of ideas and starting to freak out because I have to show him as I don't have any other calves.
Any help would be great!! :cboy:

Hook him up to the truck - put a halter and a lead rope on him. You hold the lead rope and have someone drive nice and slow

He will think it is you doing the pulling and he will not be able to stop

Do this for a few hours a day and you will be amazed at how all of a sudden they think you are so strong that there is no use in fighting you.

In the end it is you against the calf - you have to win or you are set back even further.

Cheers

Bez__

Bezs suggestion would be good at home.
Have you also tried having someone else leading their animal beside or in front of him?
My small calves never lead very well, but when they get to the shows they walk out much better. Especially when they see others walking ahead of them. The ring man will also come up behind them and help you.
Good luck!

Are you pulling on him, getting in to tug-a-war with him, you will usually lose. Try lifting and pulling forward and releasing in short burst on the halter, by this I mean pull his head in a forward and upward motion about 6 inches and then release pressure and then do it again, if he starts walking go with him without putting pressure on him. Many calves who were halter broke by dragging the halter have a difficult time learning to lead, I do not know if your calf drug a halter but if he did that could be part of the issue.

The following an animal that does lead is always a good method some others are:

Tie him in a pen (in a shaded area) and make him lead to food and water, If he does not lead he does not eat, won't take long before he wants to lead. You start where the food and water is where he can see (10 feet away or so) moving farther away as you make progress.

Bribery, we always seem to have some volunteer oats a wheat popping up, so we will grab a hand full of that and stick it in front of them (carrot in a string type deal) if he walks for you let him have a little every once in a while.

Be consistent and do not get frustrated, calves always see to go backwards every once in a while and you just have to take a few steps back with them and start from there.

Good luck

if you have a tractor with rear hay forks.tie the calf between the hay forks put the tractor in 1st gear.then start going slowly with you walking beside the hay fork hold the end of the leadrope.it works as i had todo that with a heifer years ago.

While using a rope halter also attach your show lead..Gently pull on the rope..If he doesn't give..at the same time gently pull with your show lead...when he moves towards you..immediately release your pressure...keep using this pressure and release and he should get the message. ..

Sorry I never replied! Thanks so much for the advice! It has helped a lot. He is leading better now. :)

Latest posts