calf with white eyes a day after being born

Help Support CattleToday:

$400 for a day old calf wow. I regularly buy calves for under $300. I bought some in January the highest I paid was $315 for a 305 pounder. It looks great now. I bought several at around 250 to 300 pounds for less than $300. The smallest I bought was a 155 pounder for $175. I don't buy the best looking calves I buy the calves with the best chance of me making them into a great calf. This takes a good eye, I have been burned a time or two. This is a risky way of buying calves and I wouldn't recommend it to a novice.

Bama":1b0to71t said:
$400 for a day old calf wow. I regularly buy calves for under $300. I bought some in January the highest I paid was $315 for a 305 pounder. It looks great now. I bought several at around 250 to 300 pounds for less than $300. The smallest I bought was a 155 pounder for $175. I don't buy the best looking calves I buy the calves with the best chance of me making them into a great calf. This takes a good eye, I have been burned a time or two. This is a risky way of buying calves and I wouldn't recommend it to a novice.

Yes, it can be very risky and a good way for a novice to lose their a#&. It sounds like you have got it down to a science. We've been in drought for the last 5 or so years up here. Summer before last, there was no hay, no pasture, no nothing. A lot of people sold all their cows when they couldn't feed them. Needless to say, cattle prices are through the roof now.

msscamp,

I imagine in your neck of the woods one has to be a little more hands on during calving season on account of weather and predators and such. i try to do the best i can, sometimes s+uff happens. came close to throwing in the towel on several occasions but i always go pick it back up. its amazing what a cocktail or two and/or a 12 hour cool down period will do for a guy or gal.

apology accepted. friends?

Beefy":2gezgj3i said:
msscamp,

I imagine in your neck of the woods one has to be a little more hands on during calving season on account of weather and predators and such. i try to do the best i can, sometimes s+uff happens. came close to throwing in the towel on several occasions but i always go pick it back up. its amazing what a cocktail or two and/or a 12 hour cool down period will do for a guy or gal.

apology accepted. friends?

Absolutely!! :D :D :D All one can do is their best. The weather up here can be interesting. We have found calves literally frozen to the ground more than once and had to bring them inside the house to warm up more than once. My dogs really love that!! They can't figure out what this little creature is. It's pretty funny (the dogs reaction, not the frozen calves).