calf with scratched eye

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I have a two month old calf who seems to have scratched his eye. There is a fair amount of watering. I made sure it is not pinkeye as I have seen several cases like that and this does not fit that description. This has a small blue line from the top of the eyeball to the bottom. I believe he may have scratched it on one of the tall blades of sharp grass that is in the new pasture as I got the blade of grass out of his eye. Besides keep the flies away from it is there anything else I can do for it? Will it heal up? He continues to nurse fine and can still see out of the eye, he just prefers to hold it closed.

MRRherefords":1w5dskn2 said:
I have a two month old calf who seems to have scratched his eye. There is a fair amount of watering. I made sure it is not pinkeye as I have seen several cases like that and this does not fit that description. This has a small blue line from the top of the eyeball to the bottom. I believe he may have scratched it on one of the tall blades of sharp grass that is in the new pasture as I got the blade of grass out of his eye. Besides keep the flies away from it is there anything else I can do for it? Will it heal up? He continues to nurse fine and can still see out of the eye, he just prefers to hold it closed.

Personally, benign neglect unless it is one you handle regularly. I would just use a mild eyewash. I would not use an antibiotic directly in the eye. Because the possible irritation may be worse than the minimum or no antibiotic value that it offers.

Latest posts