Calf with nose skin peeling off & possibly scours

Help Support CattleToday:

carmens

Reaction score
I have a calf that's about a week old. His mama wouldn't take him at first, but after some persistance on our part, she finally took him. The vet told us he was premature. Today, I see his nose is dry, but runny, and the skin is peeling off. He's got the runs and it's a light color...what we presume to be scours. A few days after he was first born, he was up and runnin around but now, he's very lethargic and slow in his actions. Anyone know what's going on with his nose? I plan on going to the farm supply and getting some electrolytes for him tonight to treat the scours. Anyone else have any other suggestions? Anybody know why his nose skin is peeling? Thanks a bunch!!

hopefully someone will chime in here for you soon. But I think there is a disease, illness, virous, etc. called red nose, maybe it's BRD? As far as the scours some boluses and electrolytes is a great place to start. Did his nose get frozen when he was born? I have seen some blister and peel from that.

I would check to see if he has a fever. Usually their nose will be dry when one is present. If that is the case, then some antibiotics might be in order.

Sounds like my now bottle baby. No temp but definatly sick. Green snot. I gave 2 cc exenel and repeted in two days. Really I think that is one to early but did it any way.

Scotty

If he's premature then that can account for his nose peeling after a few days. Alot of premature calves are immunocompromised and have a tough time making it. Electrolytes and I'd probably give him an antibiotic like nuflor, excede or a few days of excenel/naxcel, banamine and antiserum of E. coli (Quatracon 2x) and clostridium types C & D (C & D Antitoxin) if he's still able to stand up. He'd need IV fluids for acidosis if he's had severe diarrhea can't sit up or stand.

Latest posts