calf with injured penis

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I was checking cows the evening and this calf had his penis out about 3" and it looked swollen some. It was not like this this morning. He acts fine and was playing. I think his buddy must have stepped it.

These 2 were born about a week apart. I have Seen them both sucking #10 and this morning they were sucking #5950 their mommas seem to claim each other's calf. They are inseparable. I didn't have my good camera but you can see it in the pic.

hard to tell much from that photo.
In all likelihood...not penis, but more likely, prepuce.

Lucky_P":19y5qw76 said:
hard to tell much from that photo.
In all likelihood...not penis, but more likely, prepuce.
I watched him for quite a while and he was to concerned with chasing the dogs instead of peeing. I will check him tomorrow and see if it's better. If he can pee ,would benign neglect be in order.

Probably better ask lucky_p or MM but I'm thinking you better get him in chute and clean it up and try to get it back in the sheath
It's bad new if it dries out
You may have to stitch the sheath to keep it inside

Edit
Disregard
Just now saw lucky_p already commented

It's not normal (duh!).
Certainly, if it continues to hang out, it's prone to swelling & damage - potentially a career-ending problem, if he's slated to be a breeding bull - and, if that's the case, I don't know that I want one that's prolapsing his prepuce at that early age!

Lucky_P":ui8ko8a9 said:
It's not normal (duh!).
Certainly, if it continues to hang out, it's prone to swelling & damage - potentially a career-ending problem, if he's slated to be a breeding bull - and, if that's the case, I don't know that I want one that's prolapsing his prepuce at that early age!

I know its not normal. I've never seen it in a young calf like this. This morning It did not look any worse or swollen as bad. My question on Giving it time (benign neglect) was have you seen this correct itself. If it not better this evening I plan to take to the vet. I don't raise my breeding bulls he will be cut next month when we work cows. thank you for your time. I know you offer advise on here and it is much appreciated.