Calf with hard and runny poop

Help Support CattleToday:

Matersmom

Reaction score
So, I know that hard and runny or two words that contradict each other, but there is really no other way to describe his poop. I got this cap yesterday from a dairy farm, and he has had increasingly runny poop, but the last two poops that he is past have been running at the beginning, but then he starts to have and normal more firm poop after that. It's in the same attempt of pooping that these two different types of poop occur. Each time they are yellowish.
I have done my reading about scours and all of that, but I just can't tell if this is that or something else. When he was at the dairy farm, he was on milk from their cows, and now we have him on a higher quality milk replacer. I expected that his stomach might get upset for a while because of the change, but I'm not sure what to make of these two different types of poop.
He was ravenous the first day, and now he's down to drinking about quart and a half four times a day. The two feedings this morning when he drink that much, he had been drinking just fine, and had then started to poop, and had no interest in drinking again after he pooped.
He is in great spirits, running and frolicking around whenever we let him out of his pen. He does sleep a lot when he is inside his pen. We have not gotten her out to him yet, or grain. But he does have access to water what to use seemed to drink a little of.
Please help me figure out what to do. I don't want to lose him. I wouldn't be so worried, except he is our first bottle caps to raise.

If he's running and playing he cant be feeling that bad. I would just watch him a while. If it goes all runny, as in runnier than a thick milk shake, I would sub some electrolytes and maybe cut back on the richness of the milk a little and try that a while. And watch him.

talltimber":100rrh1v said:
If he's running and playing he cant be feeling that bad. I would just watch him a while. If it goes all runny, as in runnier than a thick milk shake, I would sub some electrolytes and maybe cut back on the richness of the milk a little and try that a while. And watch him.

I agree. If he feels that good just watch him.

So it has been about 6 hours since since he ate last. The last time he ate he had a bout a pint. I tried to give him the electrolytes twice now and he won't touch it. He tosses his head away when you put the bottle near him. Also. When I just went out he was lying down a th his poo behind him. It was clear that he hadn't gotten up to go poo. It was the same color and consistency as it has been.
We got him up to feed him and he was ready for that until I offered him the nipple. Then he just wanted to go back and lie down. Tried to get some down his throat but he was plainly unhappy by the whole process.
I am going to try feeding him again in a couple hours but I already feel like its going to fail. When we brought him home he was crazy about going after the bottle, now he seems almost offended by it. I have tried straddling him, and leaning over him so that he feels like he is under his mom, but this doesn't encourage him either. Any other ideas for when I go out there and try again?

For starters, how much does the milk replacer bag say to feed? Most of the time it's 2 quarts twice a day. More is not always better. What is the replacer made of and the % fat and protein? Any soy, if so, thow it away and get something that is all milk and milk byproducts.

I am feeding Land O Lakes calf Balance milk replacer. There's no soy in it, the crude protein is at 24% and the crude fat is it 16%. It says to feed 2 to 2.3 quarts three times a day.

For what weight calf? The amount to feed used to be predicated on a 100 lb calf.

Oh.... Well, that makes a difference. No wonder he isn't hungry. I will try lowering the amount. Thank you so much to everyone on here!

I don;t know where you are, but in the winter I tend to like a minimum of 20% fat. Those babys can use it when the weather is cold. Also, if he is being kept inside (sorry I don;t recall all you wrote very well) he needs to be out in the air. Cold isn;t much of an issue as long as he doesn;t get wet and chilled. I've seen too many calves being kept pretty much closed in to protect them and they ended up with pneumonia.
Just some unsolicited observations

He has an outdoor pen with an attached indoor enclosure with a heat lamp. Average temps around here are about 20-45 degrees Fahrenheit. Sometimes it get colder at night.
Do you know of any ways to add fat to the mixture? I have heard of things to add to add protein or sugar, but is there any good way to add fat? Some warmed half and half the n the mixture?

BTW! He drank his quart of slightly diluted milk replacer tonight. So happy that he is eating again.

So does anyone know of a way to add fat content to your milk replacer?

Also, update on my boy: cut the amount I was feeding down and he wasn't registered ng the bottle anymore. Then I added electrolytes in-between feedings and now he is refusing both about half of the time. Sometimes it's the milk he refuses and sometimes it's the electrolytes. When he refuses the milk I get electrolytes to see if he wants that, and no go. The poo is the same except now he doesn't loose his appetite after pooing anymore. He even pooped while eating this last time.

I will take any advice.

I don't mean to sound rude. I promise. But my experience is... If he is hungry, he will eat. If he has the desire to live, he will. All you can do is meet him halfway.

Yeah, I get that. I just want to be sure that I am meeting a m halfway. Like I had no idea the package instructions were for a 100 lbs calf. Just want to be sure that I not making any other silly mistakes.
Thank you though. I will try this remember that.

You could try adding a bit of vanilla yogurt to his milk replacer, about 4 to 6 ounces. I used to do that when they had digestive issues, acts as a probiotic. It would add a little bit of fat.

Another idea for adding fat, maybe try some heavy cream from the store. Warm it up and add some of that to the milk replacer. I wouldn't add a whole container, but perhaps about 4 to 5 ounces.

You might be able to get Land 'o Lakes' Cold Front milk replacer - made especially for cold weather feeding.

They do make commercial fat boosters for milk replacer as well, they carry this one at our local farm store: http://www.milkspecialties.com/wp-c...8/Milk-Energizer-Sell-Sheet-wChart12-7-14.pdf

I will warn to introduce this stuff slowly to avoid upset.

A good article on cold-weather feeding considerations: http://calfsessions.blogspot.com/2014/01/calf-feeding-cold-weather-feeding.html

Be careful with heat lamps in the barn - our neighbor burned his small sheep/chicken shed down last winter with one of those. You would be better off with a calf coat.

Good luck!

You are warming your milk, right? I don't want to assume anything that might be part of the cause? Is he still running and playing some? Take his temp and see how cold he is. Rub around on him briskly with a big towel, like drying off a dog, to stimulate him some. Just running some ideas through my head that may help?

Yep, I warm the milk. I mix it up between 110 degrees and 120 degrees, and don't give it to him until it's down to 101 to 105 degrees. Yeah, he's still playing some. Mostly when we let him out now he wants to try to root around in the grass.
The yogurt really seems to be helping. Thanks!

Latest posts