calf with ear infection??

Help Support CattleToday:

cathys

Reaction score
I have a holstien bull calf that is about 2 months old now, he is doing great now but about 2 weeks ago I noticed one of his ears hanging down lower than the other, I checked it out and there was a yellowish transparent fluid draining from it. I put him on antibiotics (baytril is what I had on hand) for 3 days and it cleared it up.
I worked for a woman that raised calfs for local farmers and she used to stick her finger in and break the drum of the ear with her nail, I wouldn't do that because I didn't think that was a safe/sanitary thing to do.
Anyone else have this problem and what did you do for it?
Also what would cause it? (In my children it was always sinus problems that caused ear infections)

Only dealt with one calf with it, and I also used Baytril. 3 days cleared it up and it never came back.

I worked for a woman that raised calfs for local farmers and she used to stick her finger in and break the drum of the ear with her nail, I wouldn't do that because I didn't think that was a safe/sanitary thing to do.

Let's just say I wouldn't do that either... and we'll leave it at that.

The calf is doing great now, he is growing and running and jumping like nothing was wrong. His ears are not drooping anymore. I was just cruious how common this was.
Thanks

Latest posts