Calf with contracted tendons.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Yesterday we had our first calf with contracted tendons. From what I've read doing nothing is the method of choice? My wife isn't really happy with the doing nothing approach at the moment.

Vince

That big Broadway calf - 123 lbs - had bad contracted tendons. I didn't do anything but worry. Now he is running around in circles. Should be fine as long as he can nurse.

I'm assuming that's when they can stand on front feet for long? if so, had one last year in sept. He would go to his front knees a lot, but was still big enough to nurse 100# calf.

What are the causes of that problem? Big calves folded up too tight inside the cow??

torogmc81":276j021u said:
I'm assuming that's when they can stand on front feet for long? if so, had one last year in sept. He would go to his front knees a lot, but was still big enough to nurse 100# calf.

What are the causes of that problem? Big calves folded up too tight inside the cow??

The tendons to the front feet are contracted (tight). They sometimes "knuckle" walk. They might not be able to stand well and nurse.

Yes. It is from laying a long time in the uterus with their front feet turned back. Larger calves are more prone to have it.

I'll also chime in with the do nothing approach. Yes, it's frustrating to watch and you want to help but there's really nothing for you to do. After a couple days you don't pay as much attention and the next thing you know you're taken by surprise when you see the calf running around, perfectly normal.

Raven is spot on. Knuckling over (weak tendons) goes with the territory on exceptionally large bwt calves. Intervention e.g. ankle stretching/manipulation and or splinting is usually not necessary unless the condition is so extreme/prolonged that the calf is damaging the flesh on its pasterns or ankle joints. Prudent to keep a close watch.

I had a calf with it bad a few years back. He was drinking sitting down as the cow would bring her udder to him. But every morning he was in a different spot in the paddock so I knew he was somehow getting around. After four weeks he was moving well and about four months later was fine except one front foot was 45 degrees twisted. At around eight months this too had straightened up.

I read some time ago that iv oxytetracycline will help them come out of it sooner. Somehow, the oxy increases elasticity in the tendons.
I have always splinter in the past and haven't had a contracted tendon since reading about the oxy treatment.

yep, don't bother with them except make sure they nurse and don't lay down ALL the time. My big steer this year had it for a long time and he's fine now. I get one every year it seems

He's a little better but sure along ways from normal. But at least my wife can't catch him to give him therapy anymore. I'm going to sell the cow as bred in the spring, we sure don't need anymore calves like this

True Grit Farms":2s1p3srx said:
He's a little better but sure along ways from normal. But at least my wife can't catch him to give him therapy anymore. I'm going to sell the cow as bred in the spring, we sure don't need anymore calves like this

Vince. I would have predicted total recovery by now. What is your mineral program?

Lol. Vince, it is not inherited. Don't blame the cow.

Mine took at least a couple of weeks to get over it. The fact that you can't catch it is a good sign. And no, don't ship mom just because of this because she may never have another with this problem.

Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.

This cow should not have caused you any grief, unless you had to help it nurse. Just because your wife wants to do therapy on it, shouldn't impact the cow. I have had tons of them over the years - benign neglect works great. Not the cows fault.

True Grit Farms":onz41icb said:
Mineral program is fair but we do use a good high mag mineral. Sometimes we forget to move or fill the feeders up, but I buy a ton or more mineral per year.
I ship anything that has or had a problem or causes me grief. She's a good registered Angus cow. But I decided a few years ago, I'm not making any excuses for my cows.

Make sure your mineral is chelated. That assures that it is bioavailable. Why does everyone focus on MAGNESIUM? It is important but no more so than copper, selenium, zinc, manganese, etc. Minerals are essential for normal body functions.

I cannot see a justification for culling based on contracted tendons.

Bright Raven":2kdjo8o0 said:
True Grit Farms":2kdjo8o0 said:

Make sure your mineral is chelated. That assures that it is bioavailable. Why does everyone focus on MAGNESIUM? It is important but no more so than copper, selenium, zinc, manganese, etc. Minerals are essential for normal body functions.

I cannot see a justification for culling based on contracted tendons.

My FIL has a cow that has had 3 or 4 calves with contracted tendons. Interestingly, she is a lone wolf. Stands off from the herd, never comes for pellets, and we have never seen her at the mineral feeder(he watches his cows pretty close too.)

Latest posts