Calf with colic

Help Support CattleToday:

jlahc

Reaction score
Just checked the cows and calves, all were healthy this morning and now this evening have found a calf (1-2mon) laying flat out and kicking at its belly. I got it up and it would stand funny, all streched out, and would kick at it belly before flopping back on its side on the gound again. This calf is not feeling good. Any ideas? It is a heifer calf.

We use Dr. Bell's but you can't get it any more. Would bloat eze work? It's for bloat, upset stomach,
there is mineral oil you can drench with or baking soda with water to drench.
Just some ideas, kinda at a loss buy my guess would be lboat eze to start.
good luck,

Tammy

You might think about tubing the calf with mineral oil and some liquid dishwashing detergent. The soap will decrease the surface tension on the bubbles and help relieve the pressure, and the mineral oil will get things moving again - so to speak.

Just checked again (1/2 hr later) and calf isn't flopping around anymore. It just tore across the pasture with another calf. Maybe the pain is coming and going or???

we had a calf do that a couple of times. we called them his "attacks" he would do what you describe and then after awhile hes fine again. we didnt do anything to him or nothing, it just passed. not bloated, it was just kinda restless. if this is the same deal, i wouldnt be worried about it.

Calf is still doing fine today, must have just had a belly ache. I didn't give it anything, it just seemed to pass. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Latest posts