calf with breathing problem with video

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
got a calf almost 3 months old that has a breathing problem. loud breathing and wheezing and a cough. i dont know how to describe it, i took a video today while i had it in the headchute giving it a shot. the coop sold me la300 was all they had for respiratory. anyone know what might be wrong with her and anything better than the la300 i should give? i have gave it a shot the last 3 days. cant tell it has got any better. how long should it take to start helping if its going to? alittle slow moving but no other signs of sickness.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAjkwwY_1A&feature=youtu.be

Most likely pneumonia and LA300 won't do anything for that. You need a RX/something from the vet specifically for respiratory like Resflor Gold, Draxxin, Nuflor, etc. I'm assuming you've taken its temp? Banamine or aspirin will help reduce the fever (Resflor Gold has Banamine in it). If you don't have aspirin boluses or powder, get creative with plain aspirin from your local drugstore (mix it in feed or cram them in a balling gun to administer). And hit that baby with some sort of fly spray.

scf84 said:
got a calf almost 3 months old that has a breathing problem....
i have gave it a shot of la300 the last 3 days. cant tell it has got any better.
What was her temperature before first shot? What was it after the last shot you gave?

Right there you'll know of any progress or change a whole lot better than anyone online
can determine from a 20 second video of her head.

Could be pneumonia, could be calf diphtheria, could be something else. Have your vet look at her. You'll get a real diagnosis and access to the best drugs.

how long after a shot of Resflor Gold should i start to see improvments? she got a shot yesterday once the vet got back into town. he said the shot last 4 days and may need a follow up. this morning still sounds about same but think might have been moving around little better so maybe its starting to feel better.

scf84 said:
how long after a shot of Resflor Gold should i start to see improvments? she got a shot yesterday once the vet got back into town. he said the shot last 4 days and may need a follow up. this morning still sounds about same but think might have been moving around little better so maybe its starting to feel better.
Her temp should have gone down within hours of the first shot. Is she eating, drinking, nursing? You might try a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy and I'm a fan of ProBios (the gel) to keep her gut in check.

I would of used Resflor or Nuflor as well with just the basic info you've shared. I tend to see an improvement quickly. Our vet says if i dont see a big improvement in 48 hours to call him back. We also use the pneumonia nasal vaccine, and I would give that to this calf right away if you haven't already.

When I have a calf with a cough like this I always separate it with its dam to make sure I can watch it. I've lost way too many way too fast.

If the calf is lethargic or not nursing it needs a vet ASAP.

scf84 said:
how long after a shot of Resflor Gold should i start to see improvements?
she got a shot yesterday
this morning still sounds about same
I've seen improvement using Resflor Gold in as little as 6-12 hours and by 36 hrs for sure.

Respiratory problems cause lesions in the lungs. How bad depends on treatment and timing.
Antibiotics can't fix lung lesions, they can only help immune system by killing off bacteria.
The body has to heal lesions on it's own and even then, at best lesions always leave scar tissue.
Your calf might 'grow' out of it, but there's an old saying... once a lunger always a lunger.

Latest posts