Calf with blood

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
I got a bull calf that was born 10/30. Its out of a hereford cross and a brahma bull. It was born a pretty good size calf. Today I noticed blood down its hind legs. I watched it a little while and blood came out of its rectum. It went to munching on grass and walking around with mama. I watched it a good 15-20 minutes. I came back a couple hours later and I didn't have anything else beside LA 300 so a darted it with that. It took off running and acted fine and I watched it another 10 -15 minutes and it never sucked anytime I was there. Didn't have a lot of time to observe it with it being Thanksgiving and having to put out hay at other places. I know for kidney or bladder infections penicillin is the go to. Any advice?

Coccidiosis?
I have also seen young bulls mount and cause damage. Hard to tell without witnessing it. Coccidiosis is fairly easy to treat tho.
Corrid in the drinking water is what I've used.
I may be wrong but I dont think la200 or 300 will do anything for coccidiosis

Coccidiosis?
I have also seen young bulls mount and cause damage. Hard to tell without witnessing it. Coccidiosis is fairly easy to treat tho.
Corrid in the drinking water is what I've used.
I may be wrong but I dont think la200 or 300 will do anything for coccidiosis
You pen mama and the calf up and put it in their water?

Easiest way. Yep. 5 day treatment I think. It's on the bottle. We used a smaller stock tank. So many ounces per 100 gallon or something like that.

@TCRanch is right. Fairly easy to test and find out.

Regardless, the corid wont hurt. But it may not fix him if theres something else wrong.

If another bull "mounted" him, that usually heals on it's own
Looks like this....
Screenshot_20201127-131239_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201127-131230_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Easiest way. Yep. 5 day treatment I think. It's on the bottle. We used a smaller stock tank. So many ounces per 100 gallon or something like that.

@TCRanch is right. Fairly easy to test and find out.

Regardless, the corid wont hurt. But it may not fix him if theres something else wrong.

If another bull "mounted" him, that usually heals on it's own
Looks like this....
View attachment 1011View attachment 1012
It wasn't bloody mucus. It was more like straight blood. I will check it when I get off work

Well I've been checking on him and there hasn't been anymore fresh blood on his hind legs and no apparent blood coming out of his rectum. He got up and acted fine.

They calf quit bleeding on its own and seems to be fine. Plays with the other calves and acts like nothing is wrong. I guess its "just one of them deals"

Latest posts