Calf with bad eye

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa52

Reaction score
I've got a steer calf that has a lot of matter in it's eye. What is the best thing to wash it out with? Please respond as I am getting him in the head gate tomorrow morning real early. I guess I'll just use plain water if that's all I can do. Thanks for your help. :help:

Try a good wash with saline solution, followed by a good shot of antibiotic to eye. No needle just the syringe. Squirt it right in there

hooknline":3l1gwz5e said:
Try a good wash with saline solution, followed by a good shot of antibiotic to eye. No needle just the syringe. Squirt it right in there
If you can;t use a saline solution use a teabag from a nonherbal tea.

Thanks y'all. It is so full of the matter that I wasn't sure what to use. The saline solution, same as the eye wash for us? What antibiotic? I've got the usual penicillin but nothing else. I do have a lot of green tea bags. I'll probably try to wipe it with the tea bag and then wash it with the saline. Thanks again. :)

Regular contact lens saline solution is best. Its ph balanced. And any neomycin type antibiotic would work. Or what you have on hand would most likly be fine

Latest posts