Calf with a couple of problems.

Help Support CattleToday:

rosti

Reaction score
I have a bottle calf with a couple of problems. The first is he was banded the end of February at a week old and it still hasn't fallen off. That really doesn't bother me but this does. I can't explain it so look at the pictures. The second thing is, he has some sort of bug or something-he is getting bald patches. Mostly they are on his neck but there are some of his back and sides. I sprayed him with the stuff we have about a week ago. It is for just about everything I could think it to be but the bald patches are still there. So, can anyone on here help me?

I think Bez is right he has lice and grubs and you missed his sacs and banded just the skin or <ouch> banded the sacs in half :help: . Either that or it is badly infected and filled with fluid. I would cut the band and start him on antibiotics right away and reapply your delousing product .

I know I got both of them. What kind of antibiotics and how much?

rosti":3v2aiac3 said:

I can give you a bunch of info - and there are actually many options.

But your best bet is to contact your veterinarian - you will get the best advice from that person.

A phone call - even long distance is pretty cheap - let us know how it goes.

Bez

rosti":2vcg3ro5 said:

I would get him on a broad spectrum like Resflor or Nuflor ,follow instructions on the bottle . Nuflor is 3 cc's/100lbs im repeat after 48 hours or 6cc's/100lbs sq (one dose) resflor is sq only and 6cc's/100lbs, one dose .

Or you can use a long acting tetracycline , if need be , best to up the dosage a little more than they say just to be on the safe side but because it is infected already I would go for something with a little more bite .

Or you can ask your vet .

The vet said twist it until it comes off and give him a couple shots of Penicillen. She didn't sound like it was even anything unusual. So the wound is draining and I sprayed some BluKote on it.

I've seen quite a few banded calves that look like that right before the sac falls off. As long as he's not running a temp I actually wouldn't worry about it. However, I'm neither DVM nor producer at the moment, so take that advice for what it's worth. :p

milkmaid":1op2a4x4 said:
I've seen quite a few banded calves that look like that right before the sac falls off. As long as he's not running a temp I actually wouldn't worry about it. However, I'm neither DVM nor producer at the moment, so take that advice for what it's worth. :p

I agree. I was going to suggest removing the sac, but I am not a vet. Just keep an eye on it, as long as the calf is eating and not running a temp, it should dry up.

Latest posts