Calf very weak!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Don McCallum

Reaction score
I have a calf, 11months old, that has a sag under her neck. I have wormed her with pour on, safe guard, and generic iovec(sp). I have had no good results.
I need help. Could it not be worms?

Sounds like she has an infection that you need to get right on with Antibiotcs before you loose her. Is she eating and drinking? If you are able, you should have the vet take a look, so you know which antibiotic to use.

If you've wormed her with all that, I doubt it... is it just behind the jaw? or is it further down the neck?

If it's just behind the jaw, I'd look at things like Goiter, Lump jaw, and wooden tongue, if it's further down the neck, I'd look at an infection from something like a rose thorn, cut, etc.. I guess it could even be an infection in the esophagus.. but it's really hard to make a diagnosis off of a one-sentence description.. If you can, take her rectal temp, 38C is normal for cows, that will give you a better idea about if it's an infection.

When you talk to the vet, I'll have given you some more possibilities to ask him about, if nothing else. Most likely antibiotic will probably be tetracycline (often called Liquamycin, or LA200 around here)

Don McCallum":1ahgnuid said:
I have a calf, 11months old, that has a sag under her neck. I have wormed her with pour on, safe guard, and generic iovec(sp). I have had no good results.
I need help. Could it not be worms?

So, when are you going to call veterinarian?

All my advice is as good as anyones here and I can tell you that it is just shooting holes in the sky as we cannot see it or touch it, etc

Lose it with no vet and you lose more than the cost of the visit.

Keep it alive with a vet call and sell it down the road and you are still money ahead

Bez

Latest posts