Calf trying to nurse pregnant heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

snake67

Reaction score
Transplanted westerner - now as far east in Ontari
Dogs and Cows":28qjwr1v said:
Today I noticed one of my calves trying to nurse one of my pregnant heifers. 1st...is this normal? 2nd does this mean that the heifer is close to calving? Thanks!

Tim

Separate them asap - you will lose colostrum - it is not normal but some do try - if the calf does not stop you will regret it.

Personally I always sell the SOB calves and yearlings down the road - I have no time for them when they do this. Especially if the pregnant cow lets them do it.

Bez

Dogs and Cows":2yjfygme said:
Thanks Bez...the heifer was not allowing the calf to nurse...appreciate the insight!!

All the best,

Tim

If the calf persists it might actually take the habit into adulthood and they get real sneaky - and will eventually find cows they can suck.

A bad habit that can be cleared by shipping to slaughter. Others claim success with other means - personally I never bother - too much time to get it to stop and I could not be bothered - there are far too many good animals out there so I toss them.

The final decision is yours.

Cheers

Bez

We had an orphaned calf suckle our Jersey heifer who hadn't calved yet. The Jersey was tolerant as long as the calf was nursing behind her and not to the side. We separated them a week before the Jersey calved and the orphaned calf went to go poach off of another cow. We sold the orphaned calf two months later as a 8 month old at the sale barn.

Backbone Ranch":24jhbzx4 said:
We had an orphaned calf suckle our Jersey heifer who hadn't calved yet. The Jersey was tolerant as long as the calf was nursing behind her and not to the side. We separated them a week before the Jersey calved and the orphaned calf went to go poach off of another cow. We sold the orphaned calf two months later as a 8 month old at the sale barn.

Any calf sucking the tits of a cow about to give birth robs the colostrum from the new calf - always be aware of this as it can set back the new calf.

Cheers

Bez

it can also damage the udder of the heifer and can cause mastitis ,
so never let a calf nurse a heifer
Suzanne

snake67":2qdibefs said:
Any calf sucking the tits of a cow about to give birth robs the colostrum from the new calf - always be aware of this as it can set back the new calf.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Bad situation right there.

Katherine

snake67":28evl2hb said:
Backbone Ranch":28evl2hb said:

Cheers

Bez

I agree that this was not a good situation; we were worried about the heifer getting mastitis and the newborn calf not getting any colostrum. The Jersey heifer's heifer calf is now 5 months old. She had a BW of 56 lbs. She is currently the largest calf from our fall calving group. The Jersey heifer (now a cow) is doing just fine now. She has proven to be a good mother. We have learned through this experience that if we see this happen again, we will remove the calf instead of the possibility of the newborn not having any colostrum.

Latest posts