Calf-swollen knee

Help Support CattleToday:

MrsGravy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I married into a farming family but they aren't hugr farmers. My mother in laws dad was the big farmer before he passed. I'm bottle feeding my first calf and this is my mother in laws second bottle fed calf. Other than those 2, we only raise beef cows for our own tables.

While feeding our beautiful heifer calf tonight, we noticed she was limping. It took me a minutes but I realize her right knee if severely inflammed and she is looks to be in obvious pain.

We just moved her to her own pasture because she was walking under the electric fence and following us with where our other 2 big cows are.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you!

How old? did she get colostrum at birth?

My first concern would be a joint infection. Typically in baby calves - a swollen joint is infected until proven otherwise. Is it warm? what is her temperature? is her navel swollen?

This would fall into the category of a veterinary emergency - she needs to be evaluated and treated ASAP. I'd take her to your local veterinarian in the morning if I were you.

We gave her colostrum for the first feeding we did. It appears that part of her cord is still attached from birth. She is still get up and eating 2-quarts a day. She WAS NOT limping this morning. We noticed it this evening, she follows us every where. She is about 2 weeks old.

My mother in law has never called a vet before. How much of a cost is it?

How old was she when she received that colostrum - in hours?

Vet costs... totally depends on where you are. Office call probably 20-50, antibiotics maybe the same and would need to be given for several weeks, diagnostics including bloodwork, ultrasound, joint tap, regional limp perfusion if your vet does those maybe another 50-100 or more. Depends how "old school" your vet is and what type of treatment they do. Value of a healthy 2 week old calf 400-500 right now. Prognosis is guarded regardless but I'd still try. Aggressive therapy is necessary - prognosis is better the earlier she gets treated.

It's a really common problem in young foals and calves. Google "septic arthritis" and "foals" or "calves" and you'll have plenty of reading material to hold an educated discussion with the vet tomorrow.

She's gotten worse in 4-hours since her last feeding. We don't even know if she'll make it through the night. My ex husband works for a vet who has her own farm. He is consulting with her for advice. The problem is, we don't have an abundance of livesto vets around.

I'm saying a prayer. If she makes it through the night, we'll go forward from there.

Ok. Update and help needed!!

We called a vet. He said to give her penicillin in her muscle.

Do you have a suggestion on which muscle and how?

Neck muscle, 18 or 20 gauge needle, 1 inch. Google BQA (beef quality assurance) guidelines for more information.

MrsGravy":d0f406rs said:
Thank you!

He is thinking naval ill.
navel/Joint ill is what it sounds like to me too. A short course of Pen probably won;t be enough. Navel/joint ill is really hard to beat.
When giving any shots, no more then 10 cc at one injection site.

Nesikep":r61bcv7m said:
Dun, What antibiotics are most effective for navel/joint ill?
The only time we cleared it we used huge doses of pen twice a day for almost a month.

I have gotten it with LA 300, but only before there was joint involvement. Localized in the navel still. I think it is going to depend on the organism and how far it have spread. Once it hits the joints I would consult a vet for sure.

Going to need more then pen. for navel ill. Double dose of Naxsel and banamine is always what I used. But i'm not a vet.

Latest posts