Calf - strange breathing noises

Help Support CattleToday:

pd

Reaction score
While out checking my cattle today I noticed that one of the calves was breathing loudly. I watched him for a bit and he lay down and started ruminating and the breathing went quiet (normal) again but with occasional intermittent heavy breathing. In all other visual respects he seems normal. I walked around to listen to other calves but only found one other who breathed heavy for a minute then went back to quiet breathing.

I am worried enough that I am thinking about getting them to the yards tomorrow to take their temperatures. I am worried they may have a respiratory infection.

Is this just something they do that I have not yet noticed? Cattle sure make strange groaning noises when they are preparing to ruminate! But this is different.

Any thoughts please?

If your weather is anything like ours has been...it is probably pnemonia.

I use Micotil (very carefully), bandimine and a good dose of B-12 complex. But consult a vet before using Micotil, or just have the vet give the shot. That is all I use for respitory problems. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks here for ya. But consult a vet.

usually with pneumonia calf will hold its head down & breathe shallow( if front of hips you would notice sides going in & out faster than most) personally i use la200 & double the dose, but i am not sure you have any problem, check him tomorrow & see how he acts

He is 4 mos old. He doesn't look sick - he's not hanging his head low, not acting miserable, no mucus at nose. Acts normal - apart from the heavy breathing...

I'm in the Southern hemisphere,so it is summer here - long hot days - but the dust may have caused problems. Then again maybe I am worrying too much :?

But I will check him and the other one tomorrow and may get them in to check temperatures.

Thanks for your comments - appreciated.

If he's 4 months old and doesn't "look" sick, I would just watch him.

Does he have any Brahman influence? They tend towards "nasally" noises as their nature.

No Brahman in him at all BullLady. He's a Simmie/Hfd - lovely looking calf too and well grown.

I have spoken to the vet nurse at my local vets and she said to check if their was an obstruction in his mouth (seed head or something). So I will do that and ck his temp while I'm at it.

He was the same today, looking normal except for this raspy breathing. I noticed a couple of others doing it today too.

It may be the weather. We've had days in the 40's followed by days in the 80's. That's hard on any livestock! Especially when they have heavy hair coats for the winter!

Wow BullLady that is quite a range of temperature you are going through!

Well I got him in and checked inside his mouth and nose - clear as far as we could see. Took his temperature which was normal (102 deg F) and listened to his lungs which sounded clear. In all respects he seemed fine.

Then the person who was helping me had a bright idea! You see I put pour on Eprinex (ivermectin) drench on the calves and cows a few days ago and he thought that it could be a dead lung worm that he could not cough up properly... :idea:

What do you people think about that? It certainly has some logic to it. Otherwise there could be something stuck further in than we were not able to see...well I'll just keep an eye on him.

Is Eprinex (ivermectin) a grubicide. If so and they hadn't been poured since the end of the heelfly season it could be grubs that have died and are causing the breathing problems. That's why for some of the pour ons their is a specific timing of application.

dun

I had not heard of heelfly as we don't get them here. I looked them up and they sound horrible - another problem to contend with!

I feel better to know that he did not have a temperature as I was afraid I was on the verge of a pnemonia outbreak.
Thanks for all your input everyone :D

Latest posts