calf sales

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I have some fall born angus calves (550 lbs). Michigan sales are saying I'm going to get $0.80 per lb on avg. As high as $0.90. I look at sale reports from other states (Il, Ky, Mo) and it seems they're getting as high as $1.20. I can ship them to those sales for that difference. Is it real? Are you guys/gals really getting $1.20?

angus9259":2877n05y said:
I have some fall born angus calves (550 lbs). Michigan sales are saying I'm going to get $0.80 per lb on avg. As high as $0.90. I look at sale reports from other states (Il, Ky, Mo) and it seems they're getting as high as $1.20. I can ship them to those sales for that difference. Is it real? Are you guys/gals really getting $1.20?
shipping?

St. Joseph Stockyards have their weekly sale every Wednesday. This past Wednesday, 5-6 weight Medium and Large 1's brough $120.50-$131.00. So yes, it is true. We normally see a spike in prices this time of year as people are looking for 4-6 weight grass calves, and there sometimes aren't a lot available. Most yearlings are bigger than that, and they aren't a whole lot of fall calvers around here. Black hided calves always bring more at this auction, and if your cattle are of high quality, they will bring good money here.

St. Joseph has the capability to load/unload by semi. How many head do you have? Health papers would be a good idea since you would be an unknown seller, but if you can certify them as farm fresh cattle, buyers like that. Cattle are normally hauled in on Tuesday and the sale starts Wednesday morning. Might want to figure how many miles you would have to haul, and how much you cattle would shrink, but I think you would come out way ahead.

I can give you contact information for the guy to talk to if you are interested in selling here. Send me a private message if interested.

Thanks. I'll try to email you. These are age and source verified through angus source.

Latest posts