Calf Question!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl Ibara

Reaction score
I bought a Holstein Bull Calf that was born on the 11 of January. He is eatting 4 bottles of milk(Calva) a day ,I have him on Bermuda and 4 Way. But he is really wholly still and is always hungry. I just wanted to know if perhaps I should up him to 6 bottles or if that would inhibit his hunger and he wouldnt eat as much hay and grain. I've always had a problem with wholly calves that never fill out nice and smooth and I'm trying to change that this year. Am I over reacting a little to early because our fair is in May and I know he still has a lot of growing still to do. Thanks ^_^

Sure give him six bottles, then treat the scours (I'm being smart). He should be up to 2 quarts (four pints) per feeding now. At four weeks I have taken them up to 6 pints a feeding. I also keep C.O.B. in front of them along with hay, free choice. He should be taking in fresh water by now as well. Good Luck... :lol:

Cowgirl, for a 4H calf I would keep increasing his milk but, very slowly, keep him hungry and looking for grain, not much hay . Start at week 7 and start to decrease his milk gradually and have him weaned by 8 to 9 weeks . He should be on at least 18% calf starter . Put a Ralgro implant in his ear .
Energy is the name of the game, just enough hay to keep his gut working . Make sure he is vaccinated twice . Worm him . The challenge here is to push him without over playing your hand .

Larry

cowgirl Ibara":3t5ikfad said:
Thank you for the helpful advice ^_^ If i may ask, what is a Ralgro?
It is a growth hormone pellet that goes in his ear . It will make him grow faster and be thicker and eventually grade better .

Larry

larryshoat":2etw3bol said:
cowgirl Ibara":2etw3bol said:
It is a growth hormone pellet that goes in his ear . It will make him grow faster and be thicker and eventually grade better .

Larry
Better explain it does not go in the ear, but under the skin of the ear. :D

Might be a good idea to make sure implants are allowed for that particular 4H show before putting one in. :p ;-)

Roadapple":ejtuxoui said:
larryshoat":ejtuxoui said:
cowgirl Ibara":ejtuxoui said:

Larry
Better explain it does not go in the ear, but under the skin of the ear. :D
I guess I didn't think to consider that there were those that didn't know that . Thanks for pointing that out . Maybe I could post some pics of the proceedure and tips on how to do it .

Larry

milkmaid":23upalc2 said:
Might be a good idea to make sure implants are allowed for that particular 4H show before putting one in. :p ;-)
So right MM, I have not heard of a dairy beef show that did not allow implants but, she did not say that she was going show him as a dairy steer. I just assumed from her signature line he would not be a bull for long . So yes by all means check . Thanks MM for pointing that out .

Larry

I have implanted steers in the past for 4H kids and am happy to help . Find someone in your area with the skill and equipment to do this, or ask your vet to do it .

Larry

The minimum weight is 250 and the max is 400. My calf will be castrated in another week or two ^_^. I've asked my local feed stores about the Ralgro but they have never heard of it and do not supply it.

Leave off the implant . We had a holstein 4H steer one year that gained 3.4 lbs a day from birth to 517 lbs at fair time. We never had a weight limit .

Larry

Yeah we never implant and don't like to since we have seen some that don't do it right and the calf seems to tilt his head or gets an ear infection. They grow fine without and we never noticed a differnece. Just my thoughts though.

Minimum weight is 250 and the calf will be 5 months old?... with a 2lb ADG he'd be about 380lbs by then. Keep in mind 1.8lbs ADG is typical for a Holstein, but with calves on good alfalfa hay and grain I've gotten over a 3lb ADG between 200-400lbs, so be careful or you may go over the weight limit.

Weigh him regularly, feed well but don't over feed, and you should be fine.