Calf Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Coweena

Reaction score
I have been told that putting a raw egg in the calves milk replacer every day will improve their digestion and keep them from getting a pot belly. Does anyone know anything about this?

When i was younger the farmer I worked for would put a raw egg in the milk of a sick or unthrifty calf. He seemed to think it made them feel better-faster. I never noticed one way or the other. Sure can't hurt though.

Can't tell you about the egg. My parents did it for sick calves. But if the calf is getting enough nutrition, there is no need to worry about it getting doggied.

Coweena":22lekgni said:
I have been told that putting a raw egg in the calves milk replacer every day will improve their digestion and keep them from getting a pot belly. Does anyone know anything about this?

Never heard about a raw egg before, but what do you mena by pot belly? if your feeding em grass hay, theyll get hay belly but they grow out of that.

Sometimes bottle babies get big bellies, probably cheap milk. An old timer told me that about adding the egg. He said that it had to do with the protein in the egg. I havent tried it yet and thats why I was asking because I wanted to see if anybody else had tried. Its a;lso suppose to help with the enzymes in their bellies and keep them from getting scours. I have no idea if it works or not.But if it makes them healthier , Id be willing to give it a go. Anything to make life easier.

Coweena":3ofiv6jn said:
Sometimes bottle babies get big bellies, probably cheap milk. An old timer told me that about adding the egg. He said that it had to do with the protein in the egg. I havent tried it yet and thats why I was asking because I wanted to see if anybody else had tried. Its a;lso suppose to help with the enzymes in their bellies and keep them from getting scours. I have no idea if it works or not.But if it makes them healthier , Id be willing to give it a go. Anything to make life easier.

If he isnt feeling to good, try some probios, that helps their guts, or Cellerator turbo paste, rich in vitamins and minerals.

Sometimes bottle babies get big bellies, probably cheap milk. An old timer told me that about adding the egg. He said that it had to do with the protein in the egg.

This is correct i know people who just put one cup of milk replacer and 2 eggs, i never use this but it wouldnt hurt anything. The calves get there pot-belly from lack of excercise, if there in a small pen and the only exercise they get is walking to the gate twice a day for a bottle then there gonna have one. Ive found that after about 2 weeks if you turn them out where they can run they do alot better. We are lucky enough to have a good setup, are calves stay in the yard (about 3 Acres), but we live way out in the woods and dont have to worry bout traffic or neighbors.

i was told for sick ones, it would coat the stomach or something. ill agree with cowboy on this one, it didnt make a difference i dont think.

Coweena":3girkmg5 said:

Not true. Plus, depending on the age of the calf, you run the risk of causing diarrhea due to the eggs being almost pure protein.

For my calves digestion I always use Vanilla yogurt but mine just like the extra flavor. You can use plain yogurt it doesnt matter. It helps when they have scours and it helps the enzymes in their gut after they've been sick. Also some people around the barn this year said that they used mashed potato flakes and put them into the calves milk. It was used as a filler and really put some bloom on the calves.

The raw egg is almost 100% protien, it won't hurt the calf unless it gets some ecoli, or something from it, but it will definatly be more protein for the calf, I have done it many times, no damage, I can't say exactly how much it helped, but I learned it from a fellow who used to just buy orphaned calves and could raise them better than the moma could for the most part.

tryinhard

I use LOTS of eggs for feeding bottle calves. [mostly because I have them] I can tell you for sure calves do well on them. Never seen any sort of health problems. No medicinal value, but darn good calf feed mixed with Milk replacer.

rosebudbeef":2044n3ul said:
I have used aloe vera juice before.... Seems to straighted out
belly trouble

Aloe vera juice...really? Hmmmmm.

Ya know what? I'd try it...I really would. Sometimes things get so bad with scoured calves ya' try anything! I never heard of using aloe vera juice...thanks! :)

Alice

The only thing that will prevent a pot belly on a calf is proper nutrition. If you skimp on the replacer or grain, you'll get a pot belly calf.

Alice":3un9919p said:
rosebudbeef":3un9919p said:
belly trouble

Ya know what? I'd try it...I really would. Sometimes things get so bad with scoured calves ya' try anything! I never heard of using aloe vera juice...thanks! :)

Alice

You need to get some age on you if you haven;t heard of using aloe for belly problems. 60s and into the 70s aloe and comfrey were the solutions to all health problems

dun":1pd36fxs said:
Alice":1pd36fxs said:
rosebudbeef":1pd36fxs said:
belly trouble

Alice

You need to get some age on you if you haven;t heard of using aloe for belly problems. 60s and into the 70s aloe and comfrey were the solutions to all health problems

I have all the age on me I care to have, thank you very much. :p

Our girl scout leader (back in the 60s) used to use aloe vera on us every time we got nicked, scratched, bitten, bumped, bruised, or otherwise injured. She grew that stuff in pots all over her house. Somebody would yell, and here she'd come with one of those big, fat leaves (is that what they're called?). I don't remember her ever having us chew it, tho... :lol:

Still, since I now know that aloe vera juice is good for a stomach ailment, I'd try it...

Alice

Coweena":9iad8xvk said:
I've tried that for sickly calves, supposed to provide more protein/energy.

GMN

Latest posts