Calf Puller

Help Support CattleToday:

BrianL

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a calf puller. I think it would be handy to have around. Any suggestions?

BrianL":rxfmq4bo said:
I am thinking about buying a calf puller. I think it would be handy to have around. Any suggestions?

I married one about 5 years ago. She's pretty handy to have around. As far as suggestions: Find one that can cook, too!

cfpinz

:lol: hey, I am a calf puller, too!!! As well as a gardner,
barn manager, poop scooper, gate opener, gopher, med and
vaccine administrator, calf esophogeal feeder, bottle calf feeder and bottle cleaner! :lol2:

my father in law made his. 1' steel tubing for the length and bent a flat piece of metal for the butt, a nylon belt to go over the tail and a come a long (sp). Truth.
Works well, but we don't use the full force of the come a long. We try to go slow and steady, let her do the work we just aply the pressure. We try hard not to jack it out.
Remember to clean the puller after each use...can contribute to navel infection
hey, I am a calf puller, too!!! As well as a gardner,
barn manager, poop scooper, gate opener, gopher, med and
vaccine administrator, calf esophogeal feeder, bottle calf feeder and bottle cleaner!
me too

The one we have is so old we have no idea of the make, but it comes in handy when you need it.
It's better then how they use to do it. They doubled up baling wire and tied twice over to a ring on every 2x4 in the barn then used a pulley sysytem. One end hooked to the calf the other end hooked to the barn.
cfpinz :lol: :lol:
Are you sleeping with the dog outside yet?

get one of the newer models that you crank the calf out with rather than one with the big handle that you jack the calf out.

I luv herfrds":ja2bff89 said:
cfpinz :lol: :lol:
Are you sleeping with the dog outside yet?

I could only hope to be so lucky! Those mutts have it made.

cfpinz

rockridgecattle said:
I'm curious as to how a calf puller can contribute to navel infection since the chances of it ever coming in contact with the calf's belly are slim to none?

If you can get a puller with a double ratchet system it works best.It is more money but will last longer and is better for the calf as well as the cow also use a "rope type material" rather than a metal chain it is easier on the calves hooves.Big point if you are thinking you might use one learn from someone before hand so you know how to double wrap the hooves of the calf and when you should pull.It is not difficult once learned how to pull properly; but a technique that to most good pullers is almost an art.

msscamp":1n5wvqny said:
rockridgecattle":1n5wvqny said:
I'm curious as to how a calf puller can contribute to navel infection since the chances of it ever coming in contact with the calf's belly are slim to none?

Was thinking the same thing as once they are pulled and cleaned you should always iodine all newborns navels.But it is very important to clean your puller after each use none the less.

Definately get the double ratchet set up! We've never used a puller like that ourselves, but a friend has one and we used it on an little heifer that he let get bred too early. Amazing how nicely it works, and with the right "action" for pulling.

crank (ratchet) is the way to go for sure in my opinion. we had the jack forever until the large animal vet went to only small animals and we got his crank for real cheap. the jack just seems archaic to me now. i feel like you have more control with the crank, you can crank it slowly or faster if need be and i feel like it is a lot less stressful on the calf to crank it real slow and ease the calf out than to jack away. its so much easier just to ratchet the calf out.

We will put the chains on the feet above the dew claws then hook the chain to the hook on the ratchet body. With the pole being so long we just tighten it then pull downward and as the calf comes we rachet as fast as possible, especially for a breech.
We can do it pretty fast.
It looks like a matter of preference on the puller.

Latest posts