Calf problem

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
1/3rd of our cows decided to calve during the snowmaggeddon. We had our share of problems, most with twins. We had 3 sets, and with the confusion of the cold, only one cow excepted both. Unfortunately for one of her twins, she died of pneumonia. I did not know this cow had twins until i saw another calf nursing her a few days later....
Once grass started growing, the cows ventured out from the hay bales and this is when i noticed the 2 abandoned twin calves. They started to struggle since they couldnt steal milk from cows crowded around the hay bales... I spent days trying to figure out who wasnt giving enough milk.. Came up with nothing, matched all cows with their calves so these 2 were twins left behind....Anywhoot, one is doing well and one wont nurse a bottle. He's over a month old and we dont know how he survived. He eats grain and hay, and i force a bottle down him till he drinks at least one full bottle each day..
Then, there is a calf who never nursed. I did not catch this calf not nursing because we went out of town and had family checking cows. I notice the calf a few days after we returned. We have cow and calf at the house. I know the calf did not get colostrum, so i was prepared for a uphill struggle. Calf nursed and was on the upswing. Spent a week in the corrals under observation. Then, a couple days ago, he started going downhill. Long story short, we're keeping him alive via tube. He appears to be blind now. He was not blind when we brought him to the corral, this started about a day ago. He's still strong. What he's doing is walking to the corral fence and ends up with his head stuck through with him forcing himself against it like a zombie for brains. I can get him away from the fence and he just goes in the direction hes pointed till he dead ends into a fence and just keeps pushing. He doesnt seem aware anything is around him. I suspect that since he never nursed for his first few days, he probably has organ damage although he didnt seem dehydrated and we tubed electrolytes in him the first day, then he nursed the cow on his own. What organ damage will cause blindness and empty brain? Its just so weird. I think he'd live if we keep tube feeding him, but, his brain doesnt seem to be working along with his sight... We'll probably put him down tonight or tomorrow, i see no improvements in him since he went downhill.... But i'd like to know if anyone here has ever had this problem?

Sorry to hear about your calf. I've never heard or have seen anything like it. Getting them off to a good start is 80% of the battle though... which I'm sure you know as well as I do. It is what it is... wish you well.

I've not had that issue either. Hopefully someone has an idea what's going on...

I'll offer what I can tho, the one that wont take a bottle.... sometimes they will drink from a bucket. Might make things a little easier.

He seems to have no idea what is going on around him or have the urge to eat normally.... I did try a bottle on him thinking that maybe his blindness was confusing him but that did nothing. We did give him a dose of dex. Maybe he was kicked in the head, you never know. Its his brain that is the problem, he's very strong. If we find him wedged into something this morning, i'm sure we'll put him down.

I commend you for all the effort you have put into this calf. I have never had a calf live more than a few days if it did not get colostrum. other symptoms would be new to me and no advise to pass on. It is always hard for me to make a decision about putting down anything, so hope you feel comfortable with your decision.

We found him on the other side of the corrals this morning, went through several fences and was wedged under a gate. Seems stronger today, but just no signs he's thinking/seeing. He moves ok, obviously, but once he runs into something, he tries to plow through it. We just found him neck deep in a hay bale. Legs still pushing... its just bizarre. As long as he's strong, we'll hold hope that maybe whatever is wrong will finally subside...(like brain swelling is what i suspect). We'll give him another dose of dex tonight for any kind of swelling., Still bagging him (tubing, bagging is what i've always heard it called).. We have another bottle calf we're going to put on this cow. We'll have to hobble her, but, i'm so tired of mixing bottles. I'm on my 3rd bag of powdered milk..

This is what he's doing. He walks until he bumps into something and then pushes so hard, he pushes through. If i hadnt pushed him back through, he'd keep pushing. After i got him out of this pickle, he walked in the other direction and did it again. I did see a glimmer of hope, he did bump into something, and then turned and walked away.. so, who the heck knows. He's stronger today, but just nothing upstairs yet..

I wonder if it could be septicemia possibly? Does the calf have a high fever? The calf going blind and pushing with his head like that sounds like symptoms I've heard and seen with that before.

So, this happened.. I'm so tired of bottle feeding, this rejected twin is getting a new mommy... Hobbles off one, put on this one. Fingers crossed this works. Not sure if the calf is old enough to have picked up a disease...He's just maybe 2 weeks old.

I wonder if it could be septicemia possibly? Does the calf have a high fever? The calf going blind and pushing with his head like that sounds like symptoms I've heard and seen with that before.
He has no fever at all... Never acted sick, just was starved when we brought him to the house.. One day on the upswing, the next walking around like a zombie..

And.......... he appears to not sleep. Since this morning, after being found under a gate, he's been wedged in a corner with his head through the fence. I left him there because it was the safest spot for him. I just went down there and he was still pushing to get through. I shoved his head back and pushed him down in hopes he'd stay down. He was exhausted.. but as far as i can tell, i have yet to see him sleep.... its so weird. I've seen a lot of things, but every year we see something new... this is our WT* thing this year....

Polioencephalomalacia, lead poisoning???? Not sure if the first one goes down to this age group but I just googled it and the fact sheet I read said all ages and classes of stock. If it has been housed in yards/barns then lead is always a possibility with old paint, batteries, flashings etc.

Ken

Such an interesting read. It's difficult to know when to give up after you've gone this far. If the little guy isn't in pain and you can continue your diligence, maybe it'll be a good ending.

We'll give him another day. I swear he's growing at a weird rate. He seem twice the size he was a week ago. It is just the weirdest thing... Not lead poisoning, he's from a herd with no barns or contamination... I say no contamination there because about 15 years ago, way back in another field, i drove by and smelled chemicals.. I mentioned it to the guys where my FIL confessed at dumping some old chemicals back there...lol.... he just didnt know how good a nose i had, although, it was so strong anyone could have smelled it...lol... but no contamination in the field this calf came from nor in our corrals....

I remembered today that I did have this exact problem a few years ago. Found the calf wandering and realized it couldn't see me. Took it back to its mom, found it later with his head in a fence, the next day hung up in a bush, just standing there. Took it to the barn, fed it, gave it antibiotics of some kind, and Metacam. Vitamin injection every day. Brought mom down to be with him. He got feeling better eventually, and I assumed he would just be a blind calf, then one day as I was walking by I saw him watching me. He mad a full recovery. I don't know what the cure was, the vitamins, the anti-inflammatory, or the antibiotics. Maybe none of the above. But it was heartwarming to see the change.

Latest posts