Calf prices in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

bannedagain":2u1o3osn said:
bigbull338":2u1o3osn said:
BC":2u1o3osn said:
Bigbull338, I apologize for calling you out. Still don't think you should have chewed on the office help, BUT sounds like you have had a couple of bad experiences at this barn. Seems to me that you need to find another barn. I am fortunate that there are 9 sales within 75 miles of me.
BC no worries you didnt upset me at all.ill take alot of crapp before ill blow up.but that was way over the line.an all he knows how todo is wiggle out of a prob.that barn is supposed to work for the sellers.but they work to get the buyers the best deal possable.
Why would you ever think it is the barns responsibility to work for the seller and not the buyer? I'm just as much their customer as the buyer as you are as the seller. they need to be sure they do the best they can for both of us. Without one you won't have a need for the other. This deal almost makes me think the barn may already lean a slight bit more towards the seller. Bidding cattle in above their market value is a sure way to thin the pool of buyers until they have none. Be carefull what you wish for.

Seems to me that any sale barn needs to have both happy sellers AND happy buyers or they will not be in business for long.

One of the things I like about Bloomington Livestock Exchange in WI is that they appear to be straight. No games in either the seller's nor buyer's favor will, over time, win the respect and business of both. jmho.

Jim

bannedagain":3lcjbl2f said:
Why would you ever think it is the barns responsibility to work for the seller and not the buyer?

Commision. At least around here, it's deducted from the seller's check. So, although the buyer is an extremely important person/entity, the stockyard makes money from the seller.

At my local stockyard the manager will help the seller out as much as possible to maximize profit (like splitting cow calf pairs, etc). By doing that he maximizes his profit as well. However, without a buyer, as banned pointed out, there would be no need for any cattle.

big B, I could understand your problem, but how could the ladies doing the paperwork have any involvement in it? Maybe you should take your ball and find another auction to play at if this one (obviously) makes you unhappy.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm on a first name basis with my local stockyard manager, and I'm not a big producer by any means. I've only had one issue over the years, and when I talked to him about it, he made it right on the spot - no questions.

well all i can say is your lucky if youve never had a prob with a barn.the funny part is this old boy keeps getting caught in his own trapp.he thought he could get me good on some cattle wrong.i was at the barn when they sold.an i know what he said then.so i called my hauler an talked to him before i talked to the guy.an my hauler said they was fine.an he tryed to tell me that they was roughed up in my corral,wrong the nite they sold he said they got in a fight in the barns pens.well he tryed to wiggle out an blame me.so i goes funny thing is i talked to the hauler,an there wasnt a mark on them as they loaded an unloaded.

cypressfarms":m7rir3n9 said:
bannedagain":m7rir3n9 said:
Why would you ever think it is the barns responsibility to work for the seller and not the buyer?

Commision. At least around here, it's deducted from the seller's check. So, although the buyer is an extremely important person/entity, the stockyard makes money from the seller.
Seems odd then if the seller is paying the commission, the auctioneer would steal calves from the guy keeping the doors open don't you think?

% based commission is a poor way to sell cattle. It takes just as long to sell 10 dinks as it does 10 quality calves. Flat rate for commission and yardage is the only way I will sell.

An honest and ethical auctioneer works for both the seller and the buyer, though he does so in different ways. When auctioning someones property, he owes it to that person, to get as much as he can for whatever he is selling. That is where he makes his money and builds a reputation for doing just that. Also, when he sells something, he owes it to the buyer to get and give out as much honest information about what he is selling as he possibly can so that the person bidding has a reasonable assessment of the value of what he is bidding on. This too, builds reputation and helps draw in the buyers.

I have been to allot of auctions through the years, as a buyer and seller, and there are some auctioneers that are not exactly honest or ethical on either side of the coin. Some, I will never let sell anything of mine and there are also some I would never buy anything from. The really good ones will always draw the biggest crowds and big crowds mean more competition and more money. But in the same token, you pritty much know what you are buying and are less likely to get swindled.

In either case I think the beef is with the auctioneer, its his ballgame, not the score keepers.

i sold 350lb holstein steers thursday at the auction for $1.01 per lb.pretty good for dairy.i also saw angus 300 lb steers sale for $1.91 per lb.i bet the holstein buyer makes more profit.

For those of ya'll who have more experience than me (which is most everyone). What do you think late summer and early fall prices will be for 7 and 8 wts. Steers or heifers? Do you think they hold, go even higher or drop?

tncattle":a55sxaxr said:
What do you think late summer and early fall prices will be for 7 and 8 wts. Steers or heifers?

Harlon says $118 for steers in 2011 but it drops to $101 in 2012... :dunce: No one really knows.
This may be a good time to buy some LRP (livestock risk protection).

Stocker Steve":2ghapu9u said:
tncattle":2ghapu9u said:
What do you think late summer and early fall prices will be for 7 and 8 wts. Steers or heifers?

Harlon says $118 for steers in 2011 but it drops to $101 in 2010... :dunce: No one really knows.
This may be a good time to buy some LRP.

I guess I should know but I don't.

What is LRP?

Latest posts