Calf prices in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin":1ijrs53s said:
I've been buying them off of the farm this year for a buck a pound. I just got some black angus twins born in July that were right around 200 lbs. The largest I've bought this year was 398 lbs. Last year I was paying 80 cents. I had to turn down a few nice ones last week because I just don't have the room

Post some pics of those runts.

yes calf prices are as high as cats back right now.we sold a bunch of bull calves for .90 to $1.26 a lb.but had the auctioneer steal 2 calves for .45 an .55 cents a lb.needless to say i chewed the girls out in the office.an told them that they need to cut a ins check pronto.then the auctioneer made the misstake of showing his face.an chewed him up an down the office.telling him his sorry no good ticket writers dont know cattle breeds an that they are blind.an that the cattle buyer just stole 2 calves an the auctioneer let him get buy with it.he goes well you can have the calf back because its in my pen.an i told him to keep it the theive just stole a calf.an he was the crook im betting because he shouldve stopped that calves sale.he needs to teach his people what breeds of cattle are.

bigbull338":2j7oboml said:
yes calf prices are as high as cats back right now.we sold a bunch of bull calves for .90 to $1.26 a lb.but had the auctioneer steal 2 calves for .45 an .55 cents a lb.needless to say i chewed the girls out in the office.an told them that they need to cut a ins check pronto.then the auctioneer made the misstake of showing his face.an chewed him up an down the office.telling him his sorry no good ticket writers dont know cattle breeds an that they are blind.an that the cattle buyer just stole 2 calves an the auctioneer let him get buy with it.he goes well you can have the calf back because its in my pen.an i told him to keep it the theive just stole a calf.an he was the crook im betting because he shouldve stopped that calves sale.he needs to teach his people what breeds of cattle are.
First thing is the ladies in the office did nothing to deserve your abuse. Second, if the calf was in the auctioneer's or barn's catch cattle pen, then no order buyer would bid on your calf. That ought to tell you something. You should have been there to P.O. your calf. Unless the calf was injured at the sale, why should you be entitled to an insurance check?

bigbull338":16k9plx4 said:

If it was in his pen then is sounds like he knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

1st off let me say i dont back up for liting the office staff up.because they know exactly what the auctioneer did,as he has done it a few times before.2ndly the auctoneer was the 1 that stole the 2 calves in q,or he wouldnt have said i can take emm back to the house.3 rdly the auctioneer is a order buyer an he dont mind ripping people.he has hooked me on a few deals over the years.an this is the final time.now your cooking 3way,that auctioneer is slick as glass.but i can an have caught him in crapp before.plus ive known him all my life an his.so i know what he will pull.

bigbull338":1mjv95e9 said:
1st off let me say i dont back up for liting the office staff up.because they know exactly what the auctioneer did,as he has done it a few times before.2ndly the auctoneer was the 1 that stole the 2 calves in q,or he wouldnt have said i can take emm back to the house.3 rdly the auctioneer is a order buyer an he dont mind ripping people.he has hooked me on a few deals over the years.an this is the final time.now your cooking 3way,that auctioneer is slick as glass.but i can an have caught him in crapp before.plus ive known him all my life an his.so i know what he will pull.
Yep, it happens. Sounds like they need a new auctioneer or none of your business in the future. Someone had to call them on it.

bigbull338":12g1aiwr said:
well i wont haul cattle there no more.
he77 they will probably have to close the doors if you don't haul your all your calves to them
I look at it this way if you were sitting there and the auctineer set the calves and nobody bid on them then yes they would be in the auctioneers pen and then it ain't nobodies fault but yours that they sold for that price cause you could of bid them up that is one prices for selling calves at an auction
if you don't like it then tough $hit and keep your calves at home
more than likely they were probably friggin dinks that weren't worth anymore than that to begin with and if you would of walked into one of the barns around here and started chewing on the gals in the office more than likely someone would be carrying you back out

have a good day

and if you would of walked into one of the barns around here and started chewing on the gals in the office more than likely someone would be carrying you back out have a good day

I don't quite understand the part about chewing on the ladies in the office. They saw no paperwork til long after the cattle sold and certainly have nothing to what goes on in the ring.

TexasBred":22v4wdpg said:
SirLoin":22v4wdpg said:
I've been buying them off of the farm this year for a buck a pound. I just got some black angus twins born in July that were right around 200 lbs. The largest I've bought this year was 398 lbs. Last year I was paying 80 cents. I had to turn down a few nice ones last week because I just don't have the room

Post some pics of those runts.

They are small, but I do not think there is anything wrong with them. I had several about the same size when I bought them last year and they all ended up finishing out between 600 and 658 lbs hanging wt., which is pretty decent for smaller framed black angus. These ones are actually from larger framed stock than last years.

This guy was 222 when I bought him. I'm not really sure what he is, but he'd go 300 easy now
DSCN0942.jpg

Here's some of the smaller ones, I'm not sure which one's which pics are not too good

DSCN0939.jpg

I think this one went 232 and the two below it were the twins from July right at 198 or so.
DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

Hey look GREEN GRASS!!!! :mrgreen:

Bigbull338, I apologize for calling you out. Still don't think you should have chewed on the office help, BUT sounds like you have had a couple of bad experiences at this barn. Seems to me that you need to find another barn. I am fortunate that there are 9 sales within 75 miles of me.

BC":pn2lzd2s said:
Bigbull338, I apologize for calling you out. Still don't think you should have chewed on the office help, BUT sounds like you have had a couple of bad experiences at this barn. Seems to me that you need to find another barn. I am fortunate that there are 9 sales within 75 miles of me.
BC no worries you didnt upset me at all.ill take alot of crapp before ill blow up.but that was way over the line.an all he knows how todo is wiggle out of a prob.that barn is supposed to work for the sellers.but they work to get the buyers the best deal possable.

Douglas":29tozqy3 said:
^Stocker Steve, how much more is that than last year?

Last fall I average $1.02 for 323#, so 30 cents less.

The market really jumped here after the first of the year in 2010, who knows for 2011... It seems like now days there is a disaster or a health scare or a financial scam every other year.

The banker :santa: liked my net worth statement and offered to lend money to buy more / higher priced cattle but I am trying to focus on my niche.

bigbull338":3cypmt9v said:
Auctioneers are slick. but I don't think this man or woman auctioneer has the power to stop all others in the ring from bidding on quality cattle. From time to time we all have crap cattle. We like to think they is the best things ever but facts are facts unless this man or woman ran them thru the ring after the sale was over you were paid what they was worth.

bigbull338":2rcmluqm said:
BC":2rcmluqm said:
BC no worries you didnt upset me at all.ill take alot of crapp before ill blow up.but that was way over the line.an all he knows how todo is wiggle out of a prob.that barn is supposed to work for the sellers.but they work to get the buyers the best deal possable.
Why would you ever think it is the barns responsibility to work for the seller and not the buyer? I'm just as much their customer as the buyer as you are as the seller. they need to be sure they do the best they can for both of us. Without one you won't have a need for the other. This deal almost makes me think the barn may already lean a slight bit more towards the seller. Bidding cattle in above their market value is a sure way to thin the pool of buyers until they have none. Be carefull what you wish for.

well 1 thing is for sure i dont make statements off the cuff.ive know how this barn operates.an they cater to the buyers 1st because of the amount of money they spend each week.an i know several buyers that drop $100,000 or more every week.the man i chewed is a buyer as well an every1 in the barn knows it.so he buys calves as cheap as he can.an then he rolls them for a big profit.an i know he bought that 800lb calf no question.

Latest posts