Calf poop

Help Support CattleToday:

The cows teats are most likely plugged, get her in a chute and get the milk flowing. She also looks like she has edema which makes it hard for her to let her milk down. Once you get the teat plugs out, the calf bumping the udder will lessen the edema and the calf should be able to nurse. Don't stop feeding the calf till you know it is getting milk from the mom.
Calves shed the lining of their stomach shortly after birth and that along with the crap milk replacer is probably what is causing the bloody stool. As long as the calf is acting fine, don't go throwing a bunch of meds at it, they can do more harm than good.

Cow is pretty laid back and I felt the bag earlier and it's pretty hard feeling. I will try and milk her and see what happens. Doubt I will do any better than the calf.
You'd be surprised! Sometimes the shorter teat can be a little harder to start. My cow has one short one that is like that. Calf couldn't get it started. She's dairy and with her first calf I knew I'd have to milk anyway. Once I got it going I noticed the calf preferred the longer ones and I had to milk out the short one completely. Then I got a second calf on her that liked to drink from directly behind her and took care of it.

Calf was born Wednesday morning. I knew it would be a bottle calf because momma didn't milk her last calf. Momma is going on a trailer soon. Got colostrum in her the morning she was born and she is on a soy based milk right now but have some milk based formula I'm going to transition her on. Poop has been normal till today. She takes 2-2 1/2 quarts twice daily. Plenty of energy not acting weird. Thought on her poop this afternoon?View attachment 22714
I keep a liquid dewormer on hand Valbazen I think is how it's spelled. Because I have trouble with parasites in the bottle calves I get from the dairy. They're born with them is all the vet can figure and as soon as they get bloody poop like that, they get the wormer. I also have an injectable wormer, that I swap out with, to help avoid parasite resistance. I only worm the ones that are showing signs of something wrong. Thankfully I only had to treat one calf this year.

Oh and it's Not coccidia in the Calves that I'm talking about, it's a different parasite and they get the bloody poop at a week or less of age generally.

She took down the new milk better than the other and was begging for more. Going to try and give her some electrolytes at lunch. She has lots of energy and acts like a normal calf. Going to wait to give her any meds until I see the poop not getting better or her condition changing. Worked on mommas tit for a few min and couldn't get anything. The bag is pretty hard and tight while the tit is kinda shriveled up. Going to look for some YouTube videos and see if I can find another technique to maybe get the milk flowing.

Saw some videos where they were probing the tit with different instruments to get it unplugged. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that. May call the vet but than again I don't want to deal with this every year so she will go on the trailer this winter probably. Not going to quit trying to milk her but not going to waist to much time on her either. Just wish this other cow would have her calf. Plan is to teach the calf to steal some from other cows but still take a bottle. Murray she is half Waygu and heavy Simmental so no ear on her.

Saw some videos where they were probing the tit with different instruments to get it unplugged. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that.
I heard of it. Something called a canular?? maybe. I'd feel awful uncomfortable too!
Plan is to teach the calf to steal some from other cows but still take a bottle.
Be warned! 🤣

My experience teaching them to steal, dealing with the nurse cows, they will alot of times always be a stealer. Sometimes even after they are weaned, especially if a cow doesn't mind!

Something to consider if u plan on keeping her for replacement type animal.

I heard of it. Something called a canular?? maybe. I'd feel awful uncomfortable too!

Be warned! 🤣

My experience teaching them to steal, dealing with the nurse cows, they will alot of times always be a stealer. Sometimes even after they are weaned, especially if a cow doesn't mind!

Something to consider if u plan on keeping her for replacement type animal.
Good thing if I keep her for a replacement is she will spend a minimum of 8 months with other weanlings in a pasture across the road. If I did keep her I would probably just AI her with two or three other F1s and she wouldn't see a bull for her first few calvings.

The cows last calf stole to survive and he has been in the weaning pasture for about 5 months and will go into my feedlot pen till his date comes. Saying that I have ways and places to keep her from lactating cows for a long time so I can hopefully break her from nursing later in life.

Something called a canular??
Yup, a teat or udder infusion cannulae. It can be effective in stripping a teat, but you also have to be cognizant about putting anything inside and potentially introducing even more bacteria. In Down in Dixie's case, it's pretty much a lost cause.

Finished both bottles today and looking fine. I will try and get a good pic of her tomorrow.
Nice!
I figured that calf was gonna be OK!

Been doing a bit of reading on udder stuff.
Here's a neat lil quick read.