Calf pails - Anyone use these

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Anyone use these? Do they work well?

IMG_20140928_240931_933_zpsed870626.jpg

We have a galvanized steel one that's the same idea, hangs on a 2x4... haven't needed it much but it has worked ok... only problem with ours was if the calf bunts the pail like an udder he'd knock it off the 2x4, so we had to strap it on so he couldn't lift it. It does make feeding easier than hand bottles, especially when they start to get older and want more. It does take them a little to get the hang of it, and you will probably still be bottle feeding them for a little while before you get them going on that.

The 2 things I've seen be issues with them (many years ago) was as mentioned, the calf bonking it off it's hanger. The other is people seemed to take more care with sanitation with the bottles then they did with the buckets. Saw more scour issues with the buckets and generally it wa becasue they weren;t cleaned and sanatized adequately

dun":e8y0f9zu said:
The 2 things I've seen be issues with them (many years ago) was as mentioned, the calf bonking it off it's hanger. The other is people seemed to take more care with sanitation with the bottles then they did with the buckets. Saw more scour issues with the buckets and generally it wa becasue they weren;t cleaned and sanatized adequately

I was going to put the bucket on a shelf and a 2x4 and strap bucket down some way so that if they bonk it they will be bonking there head on a board. I was going to wash them in Clorox and water in a tub that I can dip them in daily before use

skyhightree1":27zuoqs0 said:
dun":27zuoqs0 said:

I was going to put the bucket on a shelf and a 2x4 and strap bucket down some way so that if they bonk it they will be bonking there head on a board. I was going to wash them in Clorox and water in a tub that I can dip them in daily before use
That's what's needed to sanatize the buckets. Remember to scrub out the inside of the nipples and use the clorox on them too.

dun":d8s348qm said:
skyhightree1":d8s348qm said:
dun":d8s348qm said:

That's what's needed to sanatize the buckets. Remember to scrub out the inside of the nipples and use the clorox on them too.

Thanks dun do you think if I had a barrel cut in half filled with water and Clorox and dunked and pour out Clorox a couple time would be ok?

I would say if you had a barrel with bleach and AFTER every use you just let them soak in there until the next time, it would prevent anything from drying out, and certainly kill off any bad bugs

Nesikep":2s1h7huh said:
I would say if you had a barrel with bleach and AFTER every use you just let them soak in there until the next time, it would prevent anything from drying out, and certainly kill off any bad bugs

Thanks Nesi

Latest posts