Calf not responding to Draxxin

Help Support CattleToday:

bovineguy

Reaction score
I have a 200lb calf who shows all signs of pneumonia (i.e. snotty nose, labored breathing, temperature, etc...). I caught him early when he just had a slight cough and treated with 3cc draxxin and have been giving 4 cc banamine daily. It has been 3 days and his cough is worse and he has labored breathing. However, no temp and looks okay with no snotty nose now. He is eating very little, but seems to lay around a lot. Can I give him a follow up shot of something else. I am worried because Draxxin is long acting. I have Baytril on hand, but can not find if this is okay to use as an additional treatment with Draxxin.

ask a vet for more advice. had one 5 wt last yr like that, used draxxin & some other stuff vet gave me plus we tube him with probiotics & some other stuff. he straightened right out

I will ask the vet tomorrow, however I was hoping someone had experience using Draxxin and Baytril together. I did find this post which leads me to believe it is okay to use the two together. My vet is horrible and offers very little advice or information, however he is all we have in my area. Last week I had a ewe with breached birth and called him. He told me "just shoot her because even if you get the lamb out she will be worthless." I ignored his advice and after an hour of work I got the lamb out and saved the ewe. You can see why I am skeptical of his advice.

Postby Texas PaPaw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Haven't bought any for a while but Valley Vet lists it for $199 for 100ml and $495 for 250ml. I can usually buy locally a little cheaper than from valley, so it sounds like you are getting a good deal.

I like zactran. When zactran first came out, I did a little experiment with zactran and Excede for mass treatment when processing. Alternated 1 excede, 1 zactran for the entire group and had each calf marked by treatment. Had 1 less zactran treated calf get sick than excede treated but still very few for either. Due to less expense, continue to use excede for mass treatment. Haven't used any nuflor in a couple of years. For anything that gets sick after processing, have been rotating between draxxin, zactran, and zuprevo. Use the same one for about a month then change to the next. So far this has worked with 99% responding well to treatment. Started this due to hearing of folks using the same product for a long time beginning to have trouble with poor treatment response. Another thing I have learned is if I don't get a sick calf pulled early enough and it is already sick as a dog, it gets, in addition to a dose of 1 of the big 3, a 2cc/100 dose of baytril. Seems the baytril works faster and lets the longer term products finish the job.

Yes, baytril and draxxin work great together. I have saved alot of calves by giving them the recommended amounts of both at the same time.

Had to use draxxin + baytril a couple of weeks ago on a sick 400#calf. When I found him he was feeling something awfull. Gave him 5 cc draxxin and 8 cc baytril one day and he looked dramatically better the next day and by the following day could not tell he had been sick. Also have some pairs being custom grazed in the next county and 1 calf got sick. Care taker gave calf 2 light doses of baytril and about 5 days later calf was sick as a dog. Took him a dose of draxxin plus a big dose of baytril + banamine. Went back 2 days later and calf looked great. Most dramatic recovery I've ever seen.

I gave him Baytril last night and this morning (10hrs later) there is dramatic improvement. He is much more active and was ready to eat this morning. I could also see that he drank more water last night. He still has a cough, but otherwise he looks great. Anyone know how long cough will linger on. I am assuming that the coughing continues for a while after recovering from pneumonia. Please correct me if this is wrong. Thanks so much for all the great advice.

bovineguy":f0vgoj48 said:
I gave him Baytril last night and this morning (10hrs later) there is dramatic improvement. He is much more active and was ready to eat this morning. I could also see that he drank more water last night. He still has a cough, but otherwise he looks great. Anyone know how long cough will linger on. I am assuming that the coughing continues for a while after recovering from pneumonia. Please correct me if this is wrong. Thanks so much for all the great advice.
After the pneumonia is cleared it will lingr for a while, but if the lungs were damaged it may go on forever.

Latest posts