Calf just born, hasn’t nursed

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a difference in colostrum replacement and colostrum supplement. The replacer has a full spectrum of all needed things that are in colostrum... the supplement is about 50% strength or thereabouts. It is good for a baby that the cow is either not making much, or in many cases of dairy animals, the colostrum does not rate high on the colostrix meter... If you got a full bottle of replacer in the calf, then the supplement will be much better than nothing. I would definitely get her in a chute, see if she has milk... and go from there. If she doesn't seem to have much milk... then a couple of days of shots of oxytocin will help her with let down and to come to her milk better.
Just had a cow have a dead calf... wasn't even sure it was hers because NO UDDER... but she stayed with it and mooed for it. Got a 2 day old calf off a dairy that had colostum, to foster on her and it took 4 days of in the chute giving her oxy; but she now has a bit of an udder and calf looks like he is getting enough. After 3 days I gave him a bottle the next 2 nights to make sure he was getting a full tummy and the 2nd night I gave him the bottle, she looked like she was making more of an udder and today, after 9 days, they went out with the other cows. She fully accepted it 2 days after we introduced them... was great about it... but not hardly any milk. I think now they will be okay. I wanted him to really work on her udder to get her to come into her milk... and she has.

There is a difference in colostrum replacement and colostrum supplement. The replacer has a full spectrum of all needed things that are in colostrum... the supplement is about 50% strength or thereabouts. It is good for a baby that the cow is either not making much, or in many cases of dairy animals, the colostrum does not rate high on the colostrix meter... If you got a full bottle of replacer in the calf, then the supplement will be much better than nothing. I would definitely get her in a chute, see if she has milk... and go from there. If she doesn't seem to have much milk... then a couple of days of shots of oxytocin will help her with let down and to come to her milk better.
Just had a cow have a dead calf... wasn't even sure it was hers because NO UDDER... but she stayed with it and mooed for it. Got a 2 day old calf off a dairy that had colostum, to foster on her and it took 4 days of in the chute giving her oxy; but she now has a bit of an udder and calf looks like he is getting enough. After 3 days I gave him a bottle the next 2 nights to make sure he was getting a full tummy and the 2nd night I gave him the bottle, she looked like she was making more of an udder and today, after 9 days, they went out with the other cows. She fully accepted it 2 days after we introduced them... was great about it... but not hardly any milk. I think now they will be okay. I wanted him to really work on her udder to get her to come into her milk... and she has.
Oh I'm sorry to hear all of that! She has got milk in there. I was able to get up to her and milk a teat when she was laying down. It took some force but I got milk out so I know she's got some. This is her 3rd calf that she's had and never had any problems with milk production. I will update tomorrow morning. Thank you so much!

If calf has any game she should be sucked dry in the morning. Just milk a little out of each teat and rub it on the teat. Calf will get hungry and smell the milk and usually find the teat unless it's a dumb one.

If calf has any game she should be sucked dry in the morning. Just milk a little out of each teat and rub it on the teat. Calf will get hungry and smell the milk and usually find the teat unless it's a dumb one.
I'll look for signs of nursing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tips!

I was sort of messing with her tears trying to get one in his mouth but he was being darn stubborn!! I never knew how strong a calf could be if they didn't want to do something.
If they're fighting to latch on, that generally indicates they've already nursed. Or they're stupid. The easiest way I've found to get them to nurse is to get them latched onto my finger and gradually guide the calf to the teat. I stand behind them to support their back end with my legs and also to keep them from backing up. I'll get them right next to a teat while they're still latched onto my finger, slip the teat in their mouth and remove my finger. If that doesn't work but the calf will take a bottle, it usually indicates something is wrong with her bag/teat/milk.

With colostrum supplements/replacers the globulin content per feeding is the biggest factor. 50mg is a supplement while over 100mg is a replacer. I keep a minimum of two doses of 150mg replacer on hand at all times. If you can't find it locally talk to your AI people (a few of the companies carry excellent replacers) or get it online. Ideally you would get 300mg in the calf in the first 12-18 hours if colostrum isn't available. If you miss the timeline I would still feed it as recent research shows it still helps the guts for the next few days even if it isn't absorbed.

If they're fighting to latch on, that generally indicates they've already nursed. Or they're stupid. The easiest way I've found to get them to nurse is to get them latched onto my finger and gradually guide the calf to the teat. I stand behind them to support their back end with my legs and also to keep them from backing up. I'll get them right next to a teat while they're still latched onto my finger, slip the teat in their mouth and remove my finger. If that doesn't work but the calf will take a bottle, it usually indicates something is wrong with her bag/teat/milk.
Well out here this morning and still fighting me. I have tried the finger in mouth and then in teat. With no luck. I was able to milk her out a bit and tried giving the bottle and he wants nothing to do with it. I'm thinking if mixing a bottle or formula and see if he will go for that? He isn't even wanting to suck this morning. Just kind of gums the nipple.

With colostrum supplements/replacers the globulin content per feeding is the biggest factor. 50mg is a supplement while over 100mg is a replacer. I keep a minimum of two doses of 150mg replacer on hand at all times. If you can't find it locally talk to your AI people (a few of the companies carry excellent replacers) or get it online. Ideally you would get 300mg in the calf in the first 12-18 hours if colostrum isn't available. If you miss the timeline I would still feed it as recent research shows it still helps the guts for the next few days even if it isn't absorbed.
Should I try to give another bag of actual colostrum replacement? I milked mom out this morning and the calf wants nothing to do with the bottle and moms milk. Sure having a difficult time with this one.

Do you think that I could have been tough rough on his mouth trying to get him to nurse that now his mouth is sore? I don't think that's the case entirely because as soon as I try to put the bottle in he is backing up and trying to refuse it.

Is his mouth warm? Has he taken a crap from yesterday's milk/colostrum supp? What is rectal temp?
I just watched him have a bowel movement from yesterdays colostrum supplement. Going to take temp now and check to see it mouth is warm and report back.

Did mother look nursed???

If he's pooping that's a good thing.
It SOUNDS like he just isn't hungry. But keep on top of it.

I wouldn't give a bottle til this evening. He needs to get with the program and nurse mama.

If u got a full bottle of colostrum replacer in him. The supplement would be next.

Has his dam been licking him and taking care of him? And is he active or laying around weak and not wanting to move.
Yes dam is very attentive and licking. His mouth is warm. Temp is 101.1. He's just kind of lethargic. When I put my finger in his mouth, he doesn't suck at all.

Did mother look nursed???

If he's pooping that's a good thing.
It SOUNDS like he just isn't hungry. But keep on top of it.

I wouldn't give a bottle til this evening. He needs to get with the program and nurse mama.

If u got a full bottle of colostrum replacer in him. The supplement would be next.
Mother does not look nursed. I'm just worried that by evening he will still have been laying around and begin to get weak. He has no drive to nurse at all. I'm stumped.

Mother does not look nursed. I'm just worried that by evening he will still have been laying around and begin to get weak. He has no drive to nurse at all. I'm stumped.
Yep. Like @GoWyo said. He's either full and sleepy. Or dumb.

Sometimes it's really really hard to tell. But if he got a belly full last night he should be OK til this evening.

If he's not nursing he won't take the bottle anyway and you'll just waste the supplement

Latest posts