Calf in the cold

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Need some advice.
Cow calved this morning. Temp 3 F. Young man cutting ice for me found momma and baby about 10am. Calf still wet and very cold. He put the calf in the truck and brought it to the barn, momma followed. Warmed him up a bit in the floor board.
Got the calf in the sun at the front of the barn and got it dry and warm. Calf struggled a lot but finally got up and is looking to suck but cant find a teat.
I wanted to bottle feed or tube him but TSC and Co-op are closed because it snowed and is cold.
Only thing I have here is milk replacer 3-4 years old, brown clumpy and looks bad.
What to do?
Hope for the best and that he finds a teat tonight?
Colostrum and electrolytes in the morning if anybody is open.?
All the above???

I gave her some feed to try to keep her still, calf stands by her head and smacks or sucks on her tail. Head gate is snowed and iced up. More snow tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks

Lot and head gate iced up.
I had 4 hours of Dialysis today so not looking to fight with her tonight.
Understood. Yes, hope & pray for the best. But since milking mama is not an option, you have no colostrum replacer and the milk replacer is old, I'd give him warm, Vitamin D milk at the very least. Do you have a neighbor or nearby friend that might have colostrum available? The good news is that they're penned together at the barn. Best of luck - for you and the calf!!!

The best option would be the chute and get him nursing, or milk her and bottle or tube him.
No way would I use that old crummy out of date replacer!
Ya got 24 hrs to get colostrum in it. After that your wasting your money.

Just went out and checked on them. Calf has a little slobber on his lips and is looking hard in the right place so they may work it out themselves. calf would have been dead if my friend hadn't found them when he did and got them to the barn.
I'd say he'll be just fine then. Once they eat, they almost always seem to make it.

Latest posts