Calf hurt...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Found a bull calf on friday night with hurt back leg... too late (dark) to get a good eval.

Sat morning, headed to farm early to see. Found the calf, he looks healthy, but best guess is he got stepped on. We are feeding hay so I would say this is probably how it happened.

Right above the left rear hoof, about a 3 inch diameter of skin peeled away and gone. No blood or anything, just raw tissue exposed. And a lot of swelling. He can get around, limping, he will only put a very minimal amount of pressure on this leg. His leg swelling is warm to the touch, but not HOT.

Got him caught, gave him pen, banamine, and sprayed blue coat. My biggest mistake was not doing a better eval to see if I could tell if it was broken, as hubby had him in a full nelson and was not in a patient mood after calf had given him a fat bloody lip on the take down :)

Been checking him everyday, and this morning, he is more active, actually staying with the herd, but still no pressure on leg, and swelling is still there.

Do I follow Dun's words of "benign neglect" and continue to keep an eye on him? Or, do I try to see if leg is broken? Or, what if anything else I should do?

Thanks for any input!

Michele

This is my theory: Ask yourself "What will I do differently if it is broken?"

If you are willing to pay a vet to fix it, and deal with the headaches, then catch him and check it out. If you'd just give him some time and then shoot him if he doesn't get better, just do the give him some time part now. I've seen three-legged steers get pretty fat when they don't have to fight at the bunk.

jkwilson":27zezqa4 said:
This is my theory: Ask yourself "What will I do differently if it is broken?"

If you are willing to pay a vet to fix it, and deal with the headaches, then catch him and check it out. If you'd just give him some time and then shoot him if he doesn't get better, just do the give him some time part now. I've seen three-legged steers get pretty fat when they don't have to fight at the bunk.

You hit the nail on the head. I would not "Vet treat" a broken leg.

TN: Yes we have facilities, me, hubby, and daughter thought we would just throw a rope on a 3 legged calf and treat in the field, calf is not quit 3months old. Rather than pushing the herd through the corrals, and having to make the calf walk a lot more than necessary.

Thanks for input... let me know if I'm missing anything, or should watch for any additional symptoms...

Michele

Maybe this will make you feel better we had a calf that was 2 weeks old that got chased by dogs and ended up with a broke front shoulder he wouldn't put any weight on it but he was getting around and sucking good. The vet said it would heal but he might always limp. After about 3 weeks he was walking slowly on it, and now he is 600 lbs and you can't even tell it happened. You will be amazed at how fast a calf can heal . I bet yours will heal right up as long as he is getting around and eating I would leave him alone just keep an eye on him. In case you are wondering the dogs didn't heal as fast as the calf did. :lol:

BN it is...

Thanks J&T... I like outcomes like that much better than the alternative!

Michele

I called vet for a injured leg on a calf. This is what the vet told me , if the bone is not outside the hide leave it alone. Cattle have a way of taking care of it themselves. I have done this for 20 years I believe the vet was correct.

this is true we had a yearling heifer get run over with the tractor (we guess, never found out for sure) at feeding time and her leg was broken like dangling, and the vet told us to put her up where she wouldnt move around much and leave her along and she healed fine and became a brood cow even. i culled her when she was about 10 though b/c one of her teats started getting big.

Latest posts