Calf-Guard

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
For Bovine Rota-Coronavirus. I did not have a single case of scours this year. Knock on wood. Previous years, I had scours and was close to losing at least one calf last year. This year, I vaccinated every cow prior to calving. You can also use the approach of oral vaccination of the calf but I went the route of vaccinating the cow. I am not pimping Calf-Guard but it must have worked for me and apparently my scours were due to virus and not E. coli.

I give oral Rota Corona to all my calves at birth. (Have for 10+ years.) I do not believe that I have ever had a case of scours in a calf. Guess it does work for me also!

branguscowgirl":1n3hsmso said:
I give oral Rota Corona to all my calves at birth. (Have for 10+ years.) I do not believe that I have ever had a case of scours in a calf. Guess it does work for me also!
Thanks for reporting your outcome, green-eyed cowgirl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inyati13":3usi78fh said:
branguscowgirl":3usi78fh said:
Thanks for reporting your outcome, green-eyed cowgirl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I have given up too much of my identity :pretty: May never hear the end of it now!

inyati13":4gaqt22h said:
For Bovine Rota-Coronavirus. I did not have a single case of scours this year. Knock on wood. Previous years, I had scours and was close to losing at least one calf last year. This year, I vaccinated every cow prior to calving. You can also use the approach of oral vaccination of the calf but I went the route of vaccinating the cow. I am not pimping Calf-Guard but it must have worked for me and apparently my scours were due to virus and not E. coli.
We also stopped having scour troubles when we started using calf guard (oral to calves) and vaccinating them after all have calved and calves are at least one week old with MLV same as they will get at weaning.
Blessings
Valerie

I probably should get some and put it in storage in case I need it. I wonder what the shelf life is? I haven't lost a calf in 10....no make that 20 plus years due to scours....ever since we stopped feeding our beef cows as if they were milk cows. :kid:

Banjo":2mtfgm7t said:
I probably should get some and put it in storage in case I need it. I wonder what the shelf life is? I haven't lost a calf in 10....no make that 20 plus years due to scours....ever since we stopped feeding our beef cows as if they were milk cows. :kid:
If your calves were getting scours from the cows eating "feed" then calf-guard wouldn't of done you any good.

There seems to be a correlation between cows that get too rich of a diet and calf scours even too much mineral...also unsanitary conditions, mud, manure, calving in a muddy lot so as to keep an eye on them. Whereas out on a good grass pasture there doesn't seem to be too many problems or at least at my place.
I guess its human nature to want to push our animals to the edge of the fastest growth possible, sometimes more is less, and it only takes one dead one to ruin the whole program. Then again products like calf-guard may be the way to go so a body can feed a cow all she wants and bypass the natural system.

Banjo":3mneq5s8 said:
There seems to be a correlation between cows that get too rich of a diet and calf scours even too much mineral...also unsanitary conditions, mud, manure, calving in a muddy lot so as to keep an eye on them. Whereas out on a good grass pasture there doesn't seem to be too many problems or at least at my place.
I guess its human nature to want to push our animals to the edge of the fastest growth possible, sometimes more is less, and it only takes one dead one to ruin the whole program. Then again products like calf-guard may be the way to go so a body can feed a cow all she wants and bypass the natural system.
Our incidences of milk scours has been on strictly pasture with spring grass. The other scours we had were all in one pasture. All calves born in that pasture got calfgaurd orally as soon as possible after birth. We've quit calving in that pasture unless by surprise and haven;t had to use it in a couple of years.
The moral of the story is that it doesn;t take "feed/feeding" for milk scours, it can happen with just good quality well managed pastures.

To be real honest...I don't know why I don't have a problem with scours, but I just don't. But I suspect that it is cause by an imbalance of something. I haven't used any commercial fertilize in 7 years except for a very small amount of lime. Farmers around here spread ammonia nitrate on their pastures religiously in the spring, which in my opinion creates an imbalance in the plant, soil life, etc.
I'm no expert on the subject I just know what I see and observe.

I have seen calves get deadly scours while being bottle fed, living in a clean barn. I have not looked it up, but I think the big culprit is a bacteria in the gut. May be wrong, but that is what my "intuition" tells me. Get the same thing with foals. We do not vaccinate them for it, but I do keep the mares udder nice and clean.

branguscowgirl":1bap1c0b said:
I have seen calves get deadly scours while being bottle fed, living in a clean barn. I have not looked it up, but I think the big culprit is a bacteria in the gut. May be wrong, but that is what my "intuition" tells me. Get the same thing with foals. We do not vaccinate them for it, but I do keep the mares udder nice and clean.
I used to try to raise baby Holstein calves when I was a kid and it was just like walking a tightrope when it came to keeping them alive. My granddaddy would say not to give them too much, they were better off a little hungry.

Banjo":rk5xv79j said:
branguscowgirl":rk5xv79j said:
I used to try to raise baby Holstein calves when I was a kid and it was just like walking a tightrope when it came to keeping them alive. My granddaddy would say not to give them too much, they were better off a little hungry.
Yep, I have heard that also!

Most of the scour problems with bottle/bucket calves is sanitation. We used to raise a couple of hundred a year and once we went to rinsing the buckets with chlorine bleach after every feeding the scours disappeared.