calf growth

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that if most of my heifers wean with good flesh from milk and grass that her nutritional needs for growth have been met, and creep feeding would only add more fat?
thanks

I know you are talking about retained heifers, but I believe creeping is very overrated period. By the time you figure feed costs and often times getting a calf too greasy it don't pay. If your cows can't supply the needed nutrition you need different cows. I know a lot of folks who creep and will disagree with me, but I can't make it pay.

Isomade":2d5lu8dm said:
I know you are talking about retained heifers, but I believe creeping is very overrated period. By the time you figure feed costs and often times getting a calf too greasy it don't pay. If your cows can't supply the needed nutrition you need different cows. I know a lot of folks who creep and will disagree with me, but I can't make it pay.

I agree.... I've never owned a creep feeder, but will admit nearly every year I will price them just wondering what kind of extra gain I MAY get. I don't like the idea of investing in the equipment and feed just to lose on the whole deal. I'm pleased with what the cattle are doing by themselves and really think it would be an insult to these Gert mommas.

I never say never though, so who knows. :?

Thats not to say I havent creep fed my calves before. When I have a hard winter.. I creep feed em to get them some extra weight.
But its just as important to keep the momma cows well fed

herfdog":2awfjmvl said:
Is it safe to say that if most of my heifers wean with good flesh from milk and grass that her nutritional needs for growth have been met, and creep feeding would only add more fat?
thanks
they are up to that point... but how are they holding up after weaning?? i dont creep either

ALACOWMAN":3kqafxgz said:
herfdog":3kqafxgz said:
thanks
they are up to that point... but how are they holding up after weaning?? i dont creep either
The calves have done just fine after weaning on hay and a couple pounds of corn a day. Reason for the question is my weaning weights on the heifers average 550. The calves are fleshy and moderate just the way I want them but just not very heavy. The heifers are retained so pounds are not a big factor. Just want them to grow to genetic potential. I know the bull calves could use some creep to help fill them out.
thanks

Isomade":29h433mi said:

:nod: What he said. I'll add that if you want to spend money helping, do it on the cows. That way it stays with you after this years calves sell in the form of next years calf crop. I'm talking a protein barrel here or there, nothing to expensive.

Latest posts