Calf from Boston, MA gets fitted with prosthetic legs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just goes to show that if you have enough money you don;t have to fix stupid

Interesting read, thanks for posting it. I would like to see the animal move in a video to see just how she has adapted to her prosthetics. How will she hold up when she is in heat and being riiden by others or being bred, are they going to breed her at all and if so natural or AI ??

If you have the money and want to spend it then who are we to judge, I can think of worse things to blow thousands of dollars on.

Who would have thought that a bovine could have prosthetics..

What was learned from this might have some practical application in the future. Say your zillion dollar cow with precious genetics damages a leg beyond repair. With a prosthesis she could still be a productive flush cow instead of an expensive hamburger. That type of scenario.

And like Hillsdown said, it's their money and they could spend it on worse things. Shows kindness and compassion which can be in short supply in today's world.

Talking of frostbite,coming from the southern hemisphere,i was wondering how you cope with your animals during the really cold periods? I have read a couple of posts that refer to teats being frostbitten-that must be terrible :shock: loss of production etc.How severe is it??What temperatures can the cattle endure?

Alison alot of us that winter or spring calve have encountered -40 weather and with the wind chill it can be below 50 at times. I like to check at all hours during those occasions and have recently installed cameras for my calving areas. But I will do all night checks every 2 hours and if a calf is born during those periods they are grabbed and put in a warming box in my shop. I try to let them nurse first but sometimes that is not an option in such severe weather, so they are given a first feeding of colostrum by me as much as they want to drink if it is 8 pints then that is what they get. As soon as they are dry they are sent back to mom . My cattle also have shelters and huge straw packs as well to keep them warm. Usually the new babies snuggle in deep into the straw beside mom. They get cute little toques to wear as well until they are at least 24 hours or more older in sever weather..

It is alot more work and effort but I really don't mind. I love calving season and I love a challenge. The past couple of years my cows and calves have been so fantastic, as well as not as severe weather that it has become boring at times. :lol2:

by CKC1586 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:05 am

wonder what kind of quality of life this cow will have???? How much pain?

I am wondering the same thing too CKC? I would not want to spend that kind of money and have this poor calf in pain for weeks, months or even the rest of its life. I love my animals to death and they are spoiled rotten, including my cows, but even if I had that kind of money there really comes a point when its quality of life, not quantity.

CowGirl005":1d1v6rfn said:
by CKC1586 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:05 am

wonder what kind of quality of life this cow will have???? How much pain?

I am wondering the same thing too CKC? I would not want to spend that kind of money and have this poor calf in pain for weeks, months or even the rest of its life. I love my animals to death and they are spoiled rotten, including my cows, but even if I had that kind of money there really comes a point when its quality of life, not quantity.
Ya know I think that sometimes folks just lose touch with reality. Everything has a purpose on this earth. Anyway that is how I was brought up. My Dad taught us that if it is worth having it is worth taking care of. That includes that we are responsible for making sure that suffering isn't allowed or perpetuated. The circle of life goes on, problem is many of our children and their children are not taught the basics. Milk is from cows, eggs from chickens, meat from animals etc. not the local grocery store. That cow is a beef animal ie: food animal, her purpose in life is to produce beef.

Latest posts