Calf Dilemna . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Well, our new, itty bitty ABW calf seems to be doing just fine; mama's being a good mama, etc. But, I have some angst . . .

We're small -- we name our cattle so that when we're talking about an animal, we know which one is which. We're not too good at math, so "Ear Tag #6" or "Ear Tag #2" doesn't help much in communicating, because then someone has to clarify with age or color or some such. So, we name 'em. The ABW dam of this calf is "Freckles," so named and obvious because she's over-marked and has lots of black freckles and splotches. The little heifer is not overmarked, so I was thinking about calling her "Dot," because she's just a little spot of a creature.

So, here's the problem. The next-door cattle guy absolutely DOES NOT name his cattle, and he says with a smirky grin that our herd are "Kathie's Princess Cows." So, if my husband gets to choose the name he wants for the little heifer, which is TINKER BELL, how long do you think it will take the neighbor cattle guy to laugh us out of the neighborhood? :???:

Life is too short to worry about what the neighbors think. Name your cows however you want. We name all of ours because they are registered. But they usually have a nickname or else we go by their ID number which is tagged and tattooed. As the years go by, less of them get referred to with names.

Nmae her whatever you want, just have a call name. Something short, like Tink.

LOL, had a friend come and try and help us. He wanted us to get our cattle preg tested and he was busy telling me that I needed to get a tool to notch their ears.

When I asked why he said it was so I knew which ones were pregnant or not.

I looked him straight in the eye and mimicked a pen and folder and said, "I will just write down their names if they are pregnant."

He threw both hands in the air and walked away!!!! He buys them by the deck load. We but them one or two or three at a time.

Grandpa":18wt9sqg said:
Tell the neighbor you named it Tinker Bell in honor of him. 8)

Best answer yet. Call it what you want Kathie. But if it was me I'd still put a tag in her ear with a number on it. Just in case you have to run her thru the sale barn.

Blimey - the day I start thinking what a neighbour thinks about the name of anything I own I'll know I've hit rock bottom. Kathie you name them what you want, call out their names as loud and proud as you wish. And ... Grandpa's answer is brill.

we let our grand kids name our cows and yes we have had a tinker bell. no one said a thing. so I kind of like tinker bell :clap:

I could give a rat's butt what anyone thought of my cattle..funny is when the old cattlemen come over and see the herd..they leave with a new found respect for how good mine look, even in this damn drought..so piss on 'em..

I eartag all mine..it's ID, espc when we ship them to the neighbor's herd to be with his bull..but we name them too..all the girls are named after singers or music groups..the steers are named after food.

The day someone wants to pay the bills on them is the day they can tell me what to name or not name my critters.. :D

spinandslide":3rsh6o3z said:
I could give a rat's butt what anyone thought of my cattle..funny is when the old cattlemen come over and see the herd..they leave with a new found respect for how good mine look, even in this be nice drought..so be nice on 'em..

I eartag all mine..it's ID, espc when we ship them to the neighbor's herd to be with his bull..but we name them too..all the girls are named after singers or music groups..the steers are named after food.

The day someone wants to pay the bills on them is the day they can tell me what to name or not name my critters.. :D
My wife can;t remember by the ear tag number what cow is who or related to who so we/she names them all. I carry a list with the names and numbers so I can tell her which cow I'm talking about.

youre a good man dun..:)

I have a pretty good memory..but at quick glance, I have afew that look alike..mainly momma and her daughter..so the tag's come in handy. I keep a spreadsheet with their numbers/names for my records.

is it weird to say I can also tell who it is by how they moo? :lol:

Kathie in Thorp":c5js61dc said:
I meant this to be some light humor after a couple stressful days! The neighbor is very okay; just sort of hard butt, sometimes.

Got a few "hard butts" on here, too. So far everyone has supported you, but you can bet there are others looking down their noses at you right now. They fancy themselves as hot shot ranchers and they'll make fun of you for being small and naming your cows. They'll call you a "hobby farmer". Doesn't make 'em bad people, just stubborn and set in their ways. Don't give them a second thought.

They're your animals. As long as they aren't being abused, you feed and shelter them as you see fit, and by all means name them if that's what makes you happy. Enjoy the ride. Good luck.

I think I'd name a heifer after your neighbor. What's that song about a boy named Sue. Maybe have a heifer named Bob.

That should give him a good laugh.

I have three children ages 9,5, and 2. We have never had an animal on our place that didn't have a name. I couldn't remember them all if I had to, but my wife keeps a spreadsheet with names and numbers for them all. They even name the calves every year. Of course after so many some names get reused. I go by the number.

We got a black cow some years back and the neighbor lady insisted she had to have a name. Finally settled on JAC (Just A Cow), neighbor was happy

Latest posts