Calf Died Overnight

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
We had a 14 year old cow calve yesterday evening. She had a BIG heifer calf and I noticed the calf wasn't getting up so I went down to her and got the calf up and it was already getting dark so I watched her for a while and it looked like she was sucking a little bit but was having difficulty staying with it so I thought maybe if I left her alone without the headlights of a pickup on em she would be fine..... well we found the calf dead this morning. Makes me sick to my stomach..... I should have known better than to have left that calf like that.

My guess is the calf would have been dead either way unless the cow killed it. Even worst case weakness and no milk they'll make it overnight.

Don't beat yourself up. Probably something wrong with it from the get go. Sounds like you left it in good hands. A 14 year old cow knows what she is doing. (Unless she had issues and I wouldn't think she would have stayed around that long if she had.)

The calf was pretty lethargic to begin with and didn't have much energy. I think she stressed it when she was calving because it was so big.... the worst part was it was an E.T. calf.

:( Possible oxygen deprivation from the long birth, most likely
would have expired even if you had stayed with it. I had one
like that, we took turns with a calf "ambu" and gave it epi
ect. It died, anyway. :( Some just do not thrive.

I'm sorry for your loss... but don't be hard on yourself... if the calf didn't make it 12 hours, it likely wouldn't have made it with the most extreme of care either...

...it does sound like either oxygen deprivation from a long birth or underdeveloped that it wouldn't have lasted on the outside...

I am sorry. :(

Sorry to hear it.

I always beat myself up for atleast 3 days before I get over it.

I still have a couple of losses that make me sick everytime I think about them.

TexLonghornRanch":54k5oay0 said:
Sorry to hear it.

I always beating myself up for atleast 3 days before I get over it.

There's ones that died 3-4 years ago that still bother me when I think about them.

I had a cow who had twins a few years ago. It was Spring time and we were busy so I didn't spend time to ensure that both calves were nursing. I saw one of the twins nurse later that day and the other looked healthy at a day of age. After a couple days I noticed that the second calf was trying to nurse from several cows, including his mother, and getting shoved away. It finally occurred to me that his mother had accepted his twin but not him. I put him in a small pen and started tubing him with milk replacer, but it was too late. He hadn't received colostrum and consequently didn't have the marternal antibodies to fight off a virus. We kept him alive with some expensive drugs for about a week but eventually he died. It is only one calf out of so many but I still kick myself 3 years later since I could have prevented this if I would have just made sure that his mother accepted him from the start. Why do we like this cow biz so much???

TexLonghornRanch":1ksefpz7 said:
Sorry to hear it.

I always beating myself up for atleast 3 days before I get over it.

If you all have noticed, almost every reply to this post expresses sorrow and regret for the loss of the calf, and remorse for their supposed lack of attention, or care, or whatever it is to have prevented the loss of the calf. In my opinion, this speaks very loudly that the majority of beef producers, or the producers of ANY animal species for that matter, are dedicated, caring, loving, sincere and compassionate human beings, because most of them express sorrow and compassion for the animal(s) as well as for the feelings of the breeder who is aching and heart broken, and inveriably ends up blaming themselves for the loss of the calf. As "they" say, nobody promises you a "rose garden" in the Animal Husbandry vocation. I am just proud of the fact that I feel part of an Industry which has caring, loving people who really feel for their charges, to which they feel a responsibility.

Accidents and calamities occur in spite of all the efforts and optimal care that is given to the business, and that is just part of the business. I had a Granddaughter who contracted Brain Cancer when she was 6 years old, lived a shattering and debiliting life for 6 additional years, - was subjected to every experimental treatment that Los Angeles Childrens Hospital could imagine and try - - and died at 12 years of age - which nearly killed her parents (my son) and our entire family. I happened to be the one who recognized the symptoms first (even before her Pediatrician did) and could NOT have done ANYTHING to have alleviated her problem. This was 25 years ago, and I still have to continue to tell myself that, even though I am a Doctor, I could not have done anything to have helped her live.

I know that the circumstances are completely different between a human and an animal, but anyone who has lost a pet knows what I am saying and knows the absolute agony you experience. But you can't take the blame unto yourself (even though you will continue to try), or it will consume you. Just try to learn by the experience, and perhaps avoid its repetition.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts