Calf can't straighten neck

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
I was at the auction again yesterday. I came home with 12 heifer calves after buying 13.

Here's the scoop: I bought 2, then I bought 1, then a group of 10 came in. All very nice. After I thought I was done buying I rang up the vet to go over their vaccination records and we decided to booster with a 7 way, Ivomec, and he had a type of antibiotic (he said 8 days). I am looking at the write-up on it, and I can't quite read his writing, but it looks like Tetradusre. Anyway, I called a guy I use for hauling, and he was unavailable at the time, would be a few hours til he get over to pick them up. So after I paid up, I decided to walk out to the pens, just to check on my purchase. I was a bit nervous leaving them. I'm watching them, and they are milling about, and up walks a beautiful black calf, until I notice her head is cocked off to the side. I literally RUN back up to the office and dragged the vet to look at her. By her tags I know she was in the group of 10. This auction barn is VERY GOOD about separating any that are not good, to be sold on their own. And, if they happen to miss something, any number of buyers will pipe up and out it will go. I was bidding against a buyer who was sitting pretty close to me, he said he's bought from this farm before, and I would be very happy with the calves. Some other buyers who I've gotten to know a bit with all my numerous questions, said I did a good job buying, and bought nice animals. So in my opinion, this calf was healthy in the ring.

The vet would not commit to anything, he had the barn re-weigh her and they re-did my paperwork. So I did not end up with her.

My questions: Could this of been the result from the shots? Or, from hitting a nerve? Or, from the shute? Has anyone had something like this happen? And in anyones opinion, do you think she will recover? Or, is this a permenant damage?

Thanks in advance for your input! Michele

Could be any number of things, but my guess is she got hurt in the chute or being run up to the pen. I can't imagine a good seller leaving one like that in a pen of 10.

if the calf was fine in the ring.then it most likely happened outside the ring.an you was righr in not taking her.its a goodthing you noticed her crooked neck an turned her down.was it her neck or was she holding her head sideways.scott

i'm thinking it was her neck, almost as if she turned her head to look at something but her head where it joins the neck was where it was turned (trying for a visual here) her one cheek bone would of been right tight up against her neck

mitchwi":1b9riiao said:
i'm thinking it was her neck, almost as if she turned her head to look at something but her head where it joins the neck was where it was turned (trying for a visual here) her one cheek bone would of been right tight up against her neck

WOW! pretty boogered up neck aint it? Good to hear you didn't end up with her.

Latest posts