Calf Buy Back Programs

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
Does anyone on here work with breeder in one of these programs and sell there calves back to the breeder? What is your opinions on these. The ranches I know of Circle A Angus has a buy back program...Circle A Feeders. I think you can uses Gardiners prefix in selling your calves from there seedstock. Anyone know of some really good operations to work with on this? Or have any input?

I am a party to a buy-back program with the Bonsmara herd. I wean the calves and sell them back to the breeder in Texas. They pick the cattle up at my ranch. The price that I receive is the cattle-fax price for my region plus $40.00 per head. It has really worked out well for me--no fuel-no commission-weigh them when they are heavy. The kicker is that the cattle are all natural and age-source verified which is not that big of a deal for me.

I bought some bulls through the national braunvieh influencer sale and they have a buy back program. We just did it this spring though so we haven't sold any calves yet but it sounds like a pretty good deal. Its a good fall back position if nothing else. There is a link on the Braunvieh association website that has all the details.

Our ranch does this for our bull customers. We don't guarantee that we will buy them but we do guarantee that we will bid on them. But they need to let us know in advance and we try to get them to either have a pot load or co-mingle their calves with another customer so we can get a pot load. We just bid on some on Northern this afternoon. Fitzhugh Ranch, WY sold, we did not get them bought but we gave them a good run. They weighed 680 lbs and brought $122.25. This was the highest price set of calves I have seen sell so far on Northern. Check out our website where you can read a bit more about it www.gillredangus.com

Thanks,
Bryan

BRG":t5flt1mm said:
Our ranch does this for our bull customers. We don't guarantee that we will buy them but we do guarantee that we will bid on them. But they need to let us know in advance and we try to get them to either have a pot load or co-mingle their calves with another customer so we can get a pot load. We just bid on some on Northern this afternoon. Fitzhugh Ranch, WY sold, we did not get them bought but we gave them a good run. They weighed 680 lbs and brought $122.25. This was the highest price set of calves I have seen sell so far on Northern. Check out our website where you can read a bit more about it http://www.gillredangus.com

Thanks,
Bryan

Hey Bryan, I think my magazine did an article on you all not to long ago!! Great story, I work in the Genetic Showcase area of the magazine!! Im the southeast livestock rep.

Copeman,

Ya they did. It was pretty fun and interesting to work with Tim and the gal that wrote it. I am drawing a blank on what her name is. We did even draw a little business off of it. :D

Bryan

Latest posts