Calf attacked by dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
Yesterday I came upon a calf that had been attacked by dogs. He was still alive but laid out trembling and wouldn't move. The vet said yeah he's in shock and needs some dex. I loaded him up and took him out there and she gave him some draxxin and dex. He warmed up pretty good in the truck and would try to suck a bottle when I got home but didn't have the energy. I tubed him a quart of milk replacer. He will raise his head up and bawl but will not stand up on his own. Yes he is inside. Any suggestions to help speed up the recovery?

Sorry to hear that. Had you seen some dogs running through before? Hopefully you can get them taken care of before it happens again.

We havent lost anything yet but we have a dog problem around here. It was real bad when we first bought the place a few years ago but for some reason it has calmed down quite a bit. Might be because ive had to warn a few neighbors and word has got around that dogs shouldn't be here. Last year we had a little pack of strays running here quite a bit and i caught most in footholds.

I was going to comment that for whatever reason, even attacks that dont seem fatal, calves dont usually survive dog attacks. Whether it be internal injuries you cant see or what.. It does something to them, at least thats been my experience...

Dogs are a problem. Years ago used to be very common for dogs to cause trouble for livestock. Main reason most people in the area got out of raising sheep is because of dogs.
Did you catch the dogs in the act, or see them on or near the premise? I have seen some livestock after a dog attack and its not a good sight, no rhyme or reason to it just a mauled mangled mess.

Sorry you lost the calf. Glad you got 1 of the culprit's. I've had dog trouble before, I was fortunate that I came upon the calf when it only had been bitten a few times on the legs, but it was super shy about anything behind it for months after that, and would go crazy kicking and bawling if I walked behind it to close.

Sorry about your calf that's horrible. We supposedly had a neighbor's dog kill a couple of our calfs Larry and girlfriend some years ago. Some ya'll may remember the ghetto farming hay hood times. 😆 The dopehead bum that lived in my brother's house said he saw the dogs chasing the calfs had it all on camera. Never came up with any proof of that. He said it was the neighbor's dogs. Who's to say it was him doing some weird twisted stuff or his dog. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Weird part is the neighbor man told us to kill the one dog it belonged to his wife. He promised to pay us for the calfs. Never saw any money. The entire situation was to much drama for me. 🙅🏽‍♀️

I had one live 3 days after a dog attack. He was just as you described. Shockingly, I lost a full grown cow to dogs one time. I also had a bad stink back in November. My son and I were being attacked by a dog, and I had to shoot it. I guess we got a dog problem here to.

Shoot, shovel, and shut up!
Thanks for clearing that up. I been trying to think what SSS was short for.... what happened to old school words. 😊 If someone text me with that abbreviated crap I always ask what is blank just so they have to spell it out. 🤣

Latest posts