Calf attacked by horned cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, all I have a calf that walked up to another cow (not her mom). The cow hooked it with her horns and she threw it up in the air. It only made a small hole that bled profusely. But an 6 inch by 8-10 inch spot on the top of her back swelled up. This was Sunday afternoon, she wasn't able to get up on her own until Tuesday morning. I have been checking her back twice a day, and it's felt firm where the swelling is, not hot No Puss. Hole has been open, she's inside of a building where rain can't get to her. I gave her Excede and Banimine to help ward off infection Sunday night. Yesterday morning she still seemed fine. Last night I checked her back and it felt squishy like there was trapped liquid, when I pushed on her back Gray stinky liquid came out, not very much. And the Stupid Fly's had gotten into the hole In her back. It was Nasty cleaning that up. We haven't had any flies around due to the weather and Stupidly I didn't think about spraying fly spray on her back to keep the flies out. I'm currently waiting for my vet to open. So can flies make a sore nasty in a 14 hour period? Where did I go wrong? What can I do better next time? I did give her another round of Excede and Banimine last night, I couldn't get ahold of my vet. I tried calling the Emergency number they have.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Keep her on antibiotics. Maybe your vet will recommend lancing it at the bottom so it doesn't have to try and drain from the bottom of the pocket.
I use Pine Tar. It's a great fly repellent.
Just stay with it. She'll get better, but it will take some time.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Keep her on antibiotics. Maybe your vet will recommend lancing it at the bottom so it doesn't have to try and drain from the bottom of the pocket.
I use Pine Tar. It's a great fly repellent.
Just stay with it. She'll get better, but it will take some time.
Thank you.

Are you sure that the swollen spot on the top was not the site of a "warble" ... the larval form of the bot fly? And it is not from this years but the flies laying eggs and them hatching and getting into the cattle from the year before....They come to the backbone/top of the back just under the top of the skin, make a good sized lump and then as they exit, make a hole and often will have a fluid for a few days... Sounds to me like a classic case and it just happened coincidentally with the getting tossed by the horned cow. Look it up on the internet. There is a good description on the site "Bimectin - warbles in cattle"... sounds like a classic case of what you had.

Those sprays that look like crome or galvanized paint or the blue lotion sprays for wounds are suppose to help keep flies and stuff away, I think. I put it on when dogs get cut up or we dehorn per the vet.

The other thing I've alway been told it flush it regularly with water.

At a minimum that cow needs too have its horns tipped. I've seen them head butt or push a calf pretty good but not like that. A cow that can't raise her calf or other's calves is gone.

For flies, I had one with an ingrown horn that was full of maggots.. boy that was fun cleaning it out, and she wasn't a cooperative cow either.. I used Absorbine Ultrashield full strength and drenched the area, it's effective for like 2 weeks (without rain) and that really helped,

I wouldn't keep that cow horned (or around at all)

6" x 9" bruising not hot but open... Did you bother to take the calf's temperature? (nope) then no need for antibiotics and people wonder about restricting over the counter drugs. It will heal with time, spray with blue-kote, yellow- kote, red-kote whichever for fly/maggot control. Calling the Vet for it is a waste of money, but golf fees are expensive, so he can probably make use of your money.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the swollen spot on the top was not the site of a "warble" ... the larval form of the bot fly? And it is not from this years but the flies laying eggs and them hatching and getting into the cattle from the year before....They come to the backbone/top of the back just under the top of the skin, make a good sized lump and then as they exit, make a hole and often will have a fluid for a few days... Sounds to me like a classic case and it just happened coincidentally with the getting tossed by the horned cow. Look it up on the internet. There is a good description on the site "Bimectin - warbles in cattle"... sounds like a classic case of what you had.
It's a Baby Calf that wasn't even 24 hour's old, when the other cow threw it in the air. I don't know anything about warbles in cattle can a baby calf be born with it? It's back Wasn't Swollen until After getting tossed. I will have to read the article when I get a chance. Thank you

Last edited:
Those sprays that look like crome or galvanized paint or the blue lotion sprays for wounds are suppose to help keep flies and stuff away, I think. I put it on when dogs get cut up or we dehorn per the vet.

The other thing I've alway been told it flush it regularly with water.

At a minimum that cow needs too have its horns tipped. I've seen them head butt or push a calf pretty good but not like that. A cow that can't raise her calf or other's calves is gone.
The cow's horns are tipped. It's not my cow. The cow's belong to a Lady I do work for. I'd sell the cow if she was mine. Thank you for the advice!

6" x 9" bruising not hot but open... Did you bother to take the calf's temperature? (nope) then no need for antibiotics and people wonder about restricting over the counter drugs. It will heal with time, spray with blue-kote, yellow- kote, red-kote whichever for fly/maggot control. Calling the Vet for it is a waste of money, but golf fees are expensive, so he can probably make use of your money.
Love how you Know it All. It must be handy for every day life. I doubt I will ever get to the point where I know everything. At least I hope I don't..... When I told the vet what I did he said that he would have recommended that, if I hadn't of already done it. Have a nice day.

The vet said that I did the right thing by giving antibiotics to ward off infection and he said he would have recommended the second round I gave also, if I hadn't of already done it. He said the only thing that I needed to do that I wasn't doing was to flush the wound with Clorhexidine, because it was stronger than what I had used to clean the wound, Then wait one week and give another round of Excede and Banimine. If it's still infected.

@Hereford2 good on you for asking for advice! Especially from your vet. If you have a good relationship with them, they usually don't mind helping out!

I really hope the calf comes along for you.

I carry "enough gun" that the problem would've solved itself when I saw it. Depends on the day, but that cow would definitely be gone one way or another. She's NOT a good cow. Quite the opposite IN MY OPINION.

But I understand your dilemma there and wish you luck going forward!
Keep those babies away from her!

@Hereford2 good on you for asking for advice! Especially from your vet. If you have a good relationship with them, they usually don't mind helping out!

I really hope the calf comes along for you.

I carry "enough gun" that the problem would've solved itself when I saw it. Depends on the day, but that cow would definitely be gone one way or another. She's NOT a good cow. Quite the opposite IN MY OPINION.

But I understand your dilemma there and wish you luck going forward!
Keep those babies away from her!
Thank you Murray,.. I was sitting about 50 feet away in the truck, counting new calves, it happened so fast... I agree with you about the cow. ...

It's a Baby Calf that wasn't even 24 hour's old, when the other cow threw it in the air. I don't know anything about warbles in cattle can a baby calf be born with it? It's back Wasn't Swollen until After getting tossed. I will have to read the article when I get a chance. Thank you
No, they aren't born with it... mostly have to be a calf that went through at least one fall/winter/spring so yearling... sorry, I wasn't reading your post correctly....

No, they aren't born with it... mostly have to be a calf that went through at least one fall/winter/spring so yearling... sorry, I wasn't reading your post correctly....
That's fine I should have been more clear. But I didn't have time this morning to type out the whole story.

Long version of the story, cow had twins 24 hour's apart, accepted the First calf, then had the second calf. Abandoned the first calf, first calf had pneumonia when it was found, (yes it had a temp) then stupid cow injures the accepted calf, so Both calves come home with me. Refer to First post for rest of story,

Last edited:

Latest posts