calf acting like Stevie Wonder (no disrespect intended)

Help Support CattleToday:

flip

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the board. Was on it awhile back (maybe four years?).

We have a calf, a month old and seemingly healthy that wandered away from the feedline and it's mama with it's head up, nose up like it was sniffing the air, and squinty eyes as if it was sun sensitive. We had to finish feeding the herd and when we came back couldn't find it anywhere. It's mother goes to the spot she thought she'd left it and stands. There are places it could have gone and gotten into trouble (a river, highway) and we haven't found it yet. My question is what are the possibilities of the calf's physical problem?
Thanks!

Welcome to the boards. :) Since he appears to sensitive to light, the first thing that comes to mind is pinkeye. The raised head could also be indicative of a condition known as "star-gazing" and, if memory serves, I believe that is caused by a vitamin A deficiency. At any rate, I sure hope you are able to find him. Good luck!

Sounds like an eye problem. Pinkeye, IBR, or vitamin A deficiency. Probably vitamin A if its a newborn. If it were IBR, the calf probably wouldn't feel good enough to get itself lost.

Thank you all for your input! I wondered if maybe it was a toxic thing from the hay or it's mama eating something in the hay. Unfortunately the hay we bought had bits of human litter like a can, a wrapper, those types of things. Not buying from that fellow again.

i had one yesterday walking along the fence with its head up and when i got closer it had something hung its throat, (a piece of hay i think) and was foaming at the mouth. he would stop and put his head down and cough. i chased him to a pen to try and catch him to help and it came loose and he was fine.

Latest posts